on 30 April 2002
This is probably the funniest book I've read in ages. It is a perfect holiday read with stories that will have you in stitches. Even my man thought it was funny. Some of my favourite Irish writers are in this collection and also new writers that I hadn't yet heard of but will be definitely looking out for in the future!
on 15 April 2002
Ive always been a huge fan of Irish writers and their brilliant wit. So I was expecting a lot from this collaboration and I wasnt dissapointed.
There were the offerings from the established authors ie: The fantastic Marian Keyes and Maeve Binchy but there was also less familiar irish talent on offer. Although the stories are short the charecters are established well & you do familiarise yourself with their situations as you would a full length novel.
In short this book is funny, sad, serious and a great distraction from normal life all in one book. To end on a cheesy cliche I couldnt put it down.
on 22 March 2003
Hilarious, funny and interesting, is what I think about this book! It is very funny, and I couldn't help laughing out loud when I was reading it. Still it seems like something's missing! Maybe reality is missing. I mean, I must be honest and say, that I can't imagine anything like these stories happening for me. But maybe that just makes them even more fun?!? All in all it is a must for girls!!!
on 6 April 2002
Just finished Irish Girls About Town and I can't stop smiling!
This giggle-a-second collection of short stories has had me sniggering throughout my lunch breaks all week. I especialy enjoyed Marisa Mackle's story 'Girls Weekend' a witty tale of love, coincidence, friendship and the man that almost got away! Along with a refreshing array of talented new authors the book has stories from literary legends Maeve Binchy and Marian Keyes and both of these authors live up their name. All in all this selection of short stories has somthing to offer everyone and this is one book that I will be reading over and over again!
on 10 April 2002
Sisters are doing it for them selves!
the literary talents of Maive Binchy and Marian Keyes have once again run riot around this witty collection fo short stories. Join in fun in Annie Sparrow's story as her heroine fails to notice the man of her dreams even when he's sitting directly opposide her!
Jump on bord as Cathy Kelly takes you on a road trip or prepare to pack your bag for the best "girls-weekend" ever with Marisa Mackle's story which has more twists then a roller coaster ride!I genuinly could not put this book down. Its more adictive than chocolate! And definitly worth treating yourself to.With so many best selling authors contributing a story your sure to find somthing to appeal to your tastes. I'd recommend it to anyone and the money even goes to charity.
on 19 May 2003
I had meaning to buy this book for a long time and I must say when I got around to purchasing it I wasn't dissappointed. Apart from one or two stories which didn't exactly 'set my world alight' this was over all a great collection by Irish women writers and I was delighted to discover some new Irish writers like Catherine Barry, Julie Parsons, Marisa Mackle and Colette Caddle.
on 3 August 2004
As an avid reader I often run out of my own books & turn to my wife's collection. She had recently bought this but had not yet read it so I though I would give it a go (anything written by Maeve Binchy is worth reading).
There are many different stories, with different themes in this collection but I think they can easily be separated in to two sections - very, good stories & very, bad stories.
The good ones are written by the names headlining the book (Maeve Binchy, Marian Keyes, Cathy Kelly etc). These stories (& a couple of others) are very well-written, very funny & thoroughly enjoyable.
The bad stories...well, the less said about them the better. They are poorly written, not at all funny & completely unbelievable. Too many of the writers evidently believed they had a good idea & forced a story out of it.
In summary, I would compare this book to most compilation CD's. You buy the CD for a handful of gem's....& you fast-forward through the fillers.
on 4 April 2005
I recently bought 4 books with short stories by Irish and Scottish women -- and the first two were a disappointment. Then I started reading the third one, IRISH GIRLS ABOUT TOWN, and what a difference! Now, this was exactly my cup of tea :)
I especially enjoyed three stories -- The 28th Day by Catherine Barry, The Union Man by Tina Reilly and The Ring Circle by Martina Devlin. (I was disappointed by the fact that Maeve Binchy's story seemed to be an extract from one of her novels...)
"The 28th Day" is a fantastic description of PMT. How clever to think of that subject matter! Yes, really! You have to read it to see what I mean. Barry treats her character with such humour and understanding. An absolutely wonderful short story -- and I am most definitely going to order Barry's novels, now that I have "discovered" her!
The same goes for Reilly. After reading her brilliant story, "The Union Man" (about a woman married to a "mother's boy"), I want to read more of her work. Both these writers have a way of getting a serious point across by using humour and irony. And they write about things so many women have experienced, no matter what country they live in. Perfect!
I loved Devlin's "The Ring Circle" for similar reasons as the first two writers I mentioned. She deals with such an ordinary subject matter (what to do with the wedding band after a divorce) in such a comic way. I'm sure many of us have been in that situation. What DO we do with the ring when the marriage is over?
Oh, these are writers you simply MUST get to know. I discovered them by chance ... and I am sooooooo glad!
on 21 July 2004
Buying this book is money well spent as it's the type of collection you'll want to leave on the bedside locker and dip in and outt as you please. Alll the alll favourites are featured such as Maeve Binchy, Marian Keyes, Sarah Webb and Cathy Kelly but I also enjoyed the stories of the less famous writers such as Annie Sparrow and Marisa Mackle. Highly recommended.
on 5 May 2009
Irish girls about town is a collection of very chick littery shortstories, made as a light read. However, I got a little irritated about the many tales just revolving about a girl getting fed up with her life until she realises that she is just ungrateful and should be happy with her husband/boyfriend/children. It reminded med at times of the stories in the housewives magazines from 30 years ago...