on 23 September 2015
I thought this book was excellent. Lots of useful information and just the right amount of details to use as a walking guide.

I'm keeping it as a momento of my walk.
on 6 November 2014
A great little book to help get ready for a walking challenge.
on 5 August 2014
Excellent book containing everything you need to know about completing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks. Had the book in my pocket throughout the walk and helped us to completing in under 12 hours. Bought the National 3 Peaks book for next challenge and equally as comprehensive.
on 22 August 2015
I bought it as a precaution, along with a harveys map.
Total waste of time unless you go when there is nobody else there and that is highly unlikely.
The walk is well signposted, there are around 700 walkers on the route between dawn and dusk so if I had my time again I would save the money and make a donation to the local mountain rescue team instead, not to detract from this well written guide in any way it's just that we didn't depend upon it.
on 14 June 2013
Given us a good idea for our planned walk of the peaks. Would recommend it to anyone planning to tackle peaks.
on 7 May 2015
This book is a complete waste of money. I was looking for a comprehensive guide to the Yorkshire 3 peaks, instead the book dedicates the majority of pages to information such as how to avoid getting blisters, useless photographs of indiscriminate patches of grass and rocks, and a glossary to help you understand such advanced terms as "B&B".
I'm being rather scathing, but I am annoyed that I spent more money on this book than I did on the Yorkshire Dales: Southern and Western Areas (OS Explorer Map) of the area (which I bought after realising I had no chance of managing the walk using this book alone).
Here is a list of things I wanted to know, which the book did not tell me:
* Transport links to main conurbations near the route
* Detailed maps of each leg of the journey with the route clearly marked
* An overview and map of the area showing the route in context of the rest of the Dales
* Advice about what time of year to do the walk, and what weather conditions to avoid (e.g. high winds)
I tried to use the book in conjunction with the OS map, so I could mark the route on my map ahead of time. I found the instructions to be incomprehensible and struggled to relate it to the paths and features on the map. It references gates, piles of rocks, and marshy patches, but being a keen hiker, I know how different the landscape can look and behave from one day to the next. It uses compass bearings and 6-digit co-ordinates, which is fine, but not practical when trying to understand the route.
I would not be confident following these instructions in the field.
If you are interested in a far more useful guide to the Yorkshire 3 peaks, just go on the 3 Peaks official site, where there are many helpful articles and a scaleable map of the route. Save yourself a fiver!
on 20 October 2013
Exactly what you want in a walking guide. Clear descriptions, maps, & photographs to accompany the text. I look forward to putting it to the test on the walk.
on 30 May 2014
Great little guide for planning the walk. Gives excellent advice on training, kit, checkpoints and grid references. Would recommend to friends and family
on 8 October 2014
Strikes a good balance between providing a decent amount of information and keeping things relevant and succinct. An easy and useful read.
on 21 August 2013
The book helped to make sure we didn't get lost! Well worth the money and would recommend to anyone considering doing the challenmge.
Make sure you have the right wet weather gear!! we got absolutly drenched but syill enjoyed the challenge!!