on 7 November 2017
Normally I hate Shakespeare comedies but as I am seeing it in January i thought I would read it first. Too my astonishment I really enjoyed it and the comedy comes through beautifully. Maybe it was because I was forced to study As you like it. I may enjoy it more at my own leisure. Bawdy, sexual but subtle. Great footnotes by the RSC edition. Funny too- Adrian Edmondson as Malvolio- can't wait.
on 6 August 2014
Did not know much about Shakespeare, other than he was compulsory reading at school many years ago and I never understood him. However a director of a local theatre group recommended this publication as it explains the words and situations used in a language that is used by us everyday as oppose to that in the 16th century. The play is written in it's original entirety and the sub-notes are a really useful tool. This version was extremely helpful and Shakespeare is now seen by me in a different light, as his plays are meant to be just that, played and not just read. Fabian will never be the same again!! It was a invaluable aid to my part, and Shakespeare will not be seen the same again!
Thank you Amazon for delivering this next day at an unbeatable price.
on 22 January 2011
Twelfth Night is one of Shakespeare's liveliest and most accessible romantic comedies - but also deals intelligently with issues of gender, sexual desire, class and social harmony.

The enchanting story of Viola dressed as the page Cesario, with whom both Orsino and Orsino's erstwhile object of desire fall in love, is filled with rapturous poetry that articulates love, desire and romantic melancholy. But these central relationships are modulated by Malvolio's desire for his mistress Olivia, the bawdy comedy of Sir Toby Belch, and Antonio's unrequited desire for Viola's twin, Sebastian.

Ultimately social harmony is restored - but the portrait of Malvolio gives us an insight, perhaps, into how characters such as Edmund in King Lear, and Iago are created.

So a sunny, feel-good romantic comedy, but shaded lightly by a darker tinge.
on 26 January 2014
Is slippered middle age on the horizon? Do I seem to prefer Shakespeare's comedies - famously unfunny - to his historical tragedies, nowadays? I certainly didn't get far, at least not yet, with Coriolanus, but Twelfth Night, as with As You Like It, is easy reading. Disguise, mistaken identity, hopeless infatuation, a medley of clowns and love triumphant. All that's missing is a bit with a dog.

It's winter and the rain it raineth every day, so why not curl up with this one?
on 12 October 2016
I have always preferred the Arden series for teaching purposes as well as performance purposes. The text is clear and explanations of Shakespearean words explained. Great edition.
on 2 May 2007
The Arden Shakespeare series are the best commentry on Shakespeare around. If you're studying Twelfth Night for exams, coursework or for performance (either directing or performing), then this book will be essential to get the best from the play.

Being only second series, it does suffer from a slightly confusing layout in comparison to the third series (Twelfth Night 3rd Edition being released in Winter 2007), however, it still has an awesome in-depth analysis of the play text, and a very interesting 100page essay at the start to give an overview of the play which provides choices for the actor, or ideas for the essay-writer.

Definately worth a buy.
on 12 August 2017
Can't go wrong with Shakespeare really and this Kindle version is very good.
on 2 March 2017
too much information, I don't think I read the description....far more than just the play in this copy!!
on 30 January 2017
This item will be great for my grandaughter for her collage work Nice item at a great price.
on 21 May 2017
I read it in school years ago and good to read it again after so long.