on 2 May 2018
I purchased this as a gift for an avid theatre and literary enthusiast and she absolutely loved it. As a rather big fan of his works myself, I can honestly say I am annoyed at buying such a nice gift for someone else. The pages are inlaid with gold-leaf and the bound book is beautifully arranged, the only downside being the two-column formatting throughout the book and the rather small font size. This can make it a little difficult to follow at points and can sometimes make it a bit of a challenge to skip to certain plays, however, this does mean you get to know his less familiar works whilst looking for your favourites. Overall, a very pretty collection and a gift well-received; now to just get one for myself.
VINE VOICEon 29 August 2013
I just downloaded this onto my Kindle but alas, I'm quite disappointed. I haven't done enough research to know for sure if this is the best option, but it's not a great option.

There is no index, no table of contents. It's starts with The Sonnets, which are just spewed out without being numbered, and all you can do is go back or forward. I tried to search for 'Anthony' in order to find Anthony and Cleopatra but it informed me it hadn't been indexed. So this is essentially useless as I am not going to scroll through the entire works of Shakespeare. I bought it to have it on my Kindle for reference in addition to a copy at home. I will be seeking a refund as I cant understand how this is remotely usable.
7 people found this helpful
on 11 October 2017
Very disappointed with this rendering of Shakespeare's work. not divided into paragraphs for each character and no working index. Unless you want to read it from cover to cover you will find it very difficult to find the beginning of a specific play. Word search also fails to work. Gave up after trying to find "The Taming Of The Shrew" and failing miserably.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 5 June 2014
As the book's title says, it's got all of his work in here. It's been condensed onto two columns of small font for each page, which I think lends a nice character to the page.

There are some other space saving exercises, such as line numbers being missing so it's difficult to find a specific spot if you're looking for it. Another thing is the footnotes - there is a glossary at the back for some of the more antiquated terms, but it is by no means comprehensive. It is several pages long, but for such a breadth of work as Shakespeare it doesn't cover everything. I don't think this is of much detriment though, as the historical context is not too obscure most of the time and personal interpretations of Shakespeare are to be encouraged. Saying that, I do think somebody considering buying this should have read some more "friendly" versions which guide you through and settle you into the style, such as the Penguin ones (although don't get too many, a heavy portion of each one is just an identically copied "Introduction")

My main problem is purely aesthetic - I like the binding and it is a sturdy piece, but the picture on the front looks like it's been printed off and whacked on with Pritt stick as an afterthought. It's a shame as it detracts from its outward appeal, but inside it is a perfect way for somebody vaguely acquainted with Billy S to get into more of his stuff.
on 29 August 2012
Not wanting all of the bloated content of some of the other 'complete works', nor the excessive commentary and 'padding' of the Oxford Shakespeare for Kindle, I took a chance on this. Each play has a useful commentary and there are some basic introductory essays. The formatting is just fine, and line numbers are provided according to normal convention (every 5 lines). Unlike some editions that offer more flexibility in navigating in between acts and scenes, this does not - which suits me fine because I didn't want a lot extra URLs buggering things up. A straightforward Shakespeare in the original language. The only thing missing here are notes in/within the text - but that's something I have not found in any Kindle version. This costs a little more than some of the other versions, but I think the quality of the commentary, the cleanliness of the format, and the absence of a lot of superfluous content, apocryphal material and other 'stuff' is quite to my liking.
One person found this helpful
on 7 March 2017
This is not the complete works! This should not be sold at all! it is not even paginated!
5 people found this helpful
on 29 September 2017
Item was not the Arden Shakespeare as advertised in the photograph but a very poor quality copy not even fit for GCSE students. Keep well away from this item.
on 8 October 2015
A lovely old book, all of his works together in a nice sized book & easy to read font. Hours & hours of pleasure.
5 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2018
Great product - really nicely produced book. The cover is slightly more flimsy than it seems or gives the impression of on the website but so long as you keep the book well and look after it then it should be fine. Nice colour cover for the contents as looks 'old' (in a good way!).
on 21 September 2017
The Table of Contents does not include the Titles of Shakespeare's works so, if you're looking for a play you need to know the location of Act 1 Scene 1. - An Irritating Ommission and one, I'd have thought, would be easy to fix.
One person found this helpful