TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 February 2004
Quite simply, you need this in your collection. Some of the most quotable (and misquoted) work ever produced. The story is well known to all, but the lyrical qualities only come through when you read this remarkable piece. If you want all the analysis surrounding it, then this is not the version for you (try Arden) but if you want the words - which are enough in themselves - then this is a well priced essential.
I have always loved this tale of doomed love, there is just something so haunting and tragic about it that will make even a grown man cry. As with many of Shakespeare's works this is not an original idea but is based on an Italian ballad, but whereas that ballad has been forgotten what Shakespeare did with it will be with us forever. I could spend a few paragraphs giving a brief synopsis of this play, but what would be the point? People who have never read it or seen any performance of it know the basic storyline.

This story appeals to people from all walks of life with its tale of forbidden love between two teens. Juliet obviously lusts after Romeo in no way that a teen fiction love story these days does. That in our modern world the two obviously consummate their love adds a certain frisson as strictly speaking Juliet is under age, but that thankfully hasn't sent the censor to start editing it.

Really delving into what love and subsequently lust means this play should be a standard on the curriculum and could be used as a starting point for sex education. Shakespeare really showed here what being in love feels like as no one has ever done before or since and he speaks to our psyche and our emotions that make this drama so memorable. Really this is a must read.
on 4 March 2009
I used to think I understood the original text, but with the Sparknotes modern text alongside the original I realised just how much I had been missing. I never realised Mercutio was quite so rude! Generally I would only want the modern translation as a guide to help with understanding, but this is the exception. While not quite Shakespeare at his best it's pithy and in keeping with the spirit of the original and could certainly be used on its own to give a good flavour of Shakespearean theatre without the misunderstandings. I would certainly buy other books in this series.
on 16 March 2002
This edition provides an easy way of introducing youngsters into the world of the classics in a small paperback, we have played the parts! and it's amazing how they enjoy and understand.
on 9 May 2016
GCSE REVISION... There is no other book out there that simplifies SHAKESPEARE like this book. Everything is explained in a simple format. The NO FEAR series of books take the fear out of the complicated. 10/10.
on 22 February 2009
Excellent conidition. I am curently studying GCSE English and my task was to redo a piece of coursework. By combining my background knowledge with the notes in this book I managed to get A* for my first draft which is rather unusual for me. Very informative and makes excellent points (though at times contradictory to my background knowlege)
on 6 May 2015
Very helpful for a first-time reader like myself using it for an English class. Sometimes phrases would make little sense before the teacher explained it and this book saved me a lot of time making notes to remember each difficult line and I developed a better understanding of the text, quickly.
on 20 August 2013
Bought for German friend's daughter preparing for 'A' level equivalent in English with Romeo and Juliet as the given text. This book was so useful in explaining the synopsis in a simple and comprehensive way. This book therefore has a wider usage than expected and would help anyone wanting to understand Shakespeare whether actually a student per se or not.
on 14 June 2013
This playscript was bought for my daughter for school and has served her well. It is a typical play script but has the advantage of giving background information about certain events/characters and gives advice on how the scenes could be acted out. This is particularly suitable for children in secondary school.
on 8 January 2014
Tricky to review really, this was bought for my son who is studying GCSE English and this is one of the books they are covering so it has been bought for a specific reason to aid his study, this is the one the school recommend so I guess that in istself is a recommendation and other reviews certainly suggest it's good.