Customer reviews

The Divide
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 July 2003
This book has it all:
A well-paced and intelligent story laced with wry humour that still manages to unobtrusively educate and tackle such important themes as globalisation without ever become preachy. Ms Kay expertly juggles, weaves, and final neatly knits together a raft of different plot threads.
A rich cast of quirky and varied characters who avoid the stereotypes so often found in the average children’s book. Every character in this book, (even those with only bit parts), feels real. The heroes and heroines have flaws and foibles and the villains all have at least one likeable or redeeming feature. (My personal favourite is Ironclaw; a loveable, fearsome and occasionally pompous brazzle - The Divide’s equivalent of a griffin - who specialises in pure mathematics. Yes – The Divide manages to make even abstract maths both interesting and fun!)
Best of all though, is the setting. A wonderfully well thought out magical other world that engages the imagination, wraps you up in a sense of wonder and leaves you longing for more.
In the book’s introduction, the publisher says he is trying to persuade Ms Kay to write a sequel. I sincerely hope he succeeds!
I have four goddaughters all of whom are the right age for this book. I have bought a copy for each of them.
on 5 May 2003
A thoroughly enjoyable and compelling read.
Crammed full of weird and wonderful creatures, sympathetic characters and magic, The Divide is Harry Potter with depth!
Guranteed to interest even the most reluctant of readers, I recommend The Divide to teachers and parents alike.
A must for teachers wishing to read something out of the ordinary and exciting to their class that will hold their attention and feed their imaginations.
A must for parents looking for that something to shut the kids up for prolonged periods of time!
The Divide is the most interesting and engaging children's read to come onto the market for a very long time. I cannot wait for the sequel!!
on 18 September 2006
This book follows the adventure of Felix Saunders, an inteligent boy with a rare heart diseise. When his parents take him to Costa Rica for an amazing holiday, he is transported from the Continental Divide into a weird and wacky back-to-front world where mythical beasts are real and humans are not. Soon he meets Ironclaw, a mathimatical loving griffin and Betony the tangle girl. Together they set of on a thrilling quest to stop an evil pixie, Snakeweed, selling untested magical remidies to the ragamuckies, brittlehorns, fire-birds and digglelucks of the world. Felix's time is running out, fast, will he be able to find a cure and the way back home?

Together with Elizabeth Kay's wonderful description and illustrations by Ted Dewan this is a great book for all kids from nine to teenager and the occasional fun loving adult. There are two other books in the series called "Back to the Divde" and "The Jinx on the Divide".

Reveiw by Crazymagic, eleven-years-old
on 19 May 2003
I have found recently that if as an adult you want a really good read, then you have to look at the Children's section. 'The Divide' is no exception. Packed full of interesting characters, a superb plot and underlying themes of science, mathematics, history and the pharmaceutical industry, this is definitely a book you can read on the train. Add to that the triptych cover and it's a bookseller's dream.
Kay writes in third person plural but it's not at all confusing. In fact it creates a lovely reverse spiral effect.
The only question now is will the BBC turn it into a Sunday teatime drama or will Hollywood beckon?
on 15 May 2003
I found myself giving wry smiles and chuckles at the poke-in-the-eye to multi national companies this book provides for the adult reader. But I then wondered if I would care enough about our hero and main character Felix to wish him his dream come true at the end.
I needn't have worried. In no time, I was roaring along on an adventure ride in a fantasy land filled with beautifully described creatures and beings. The fantastical Brazzles, the unmentionable shadow beasts, the extraordinary Shreddermouth and the noble Brittlehorns all giving something to the plot along the way.
As much as I wanted our friendly heroes, Felix now joined by his tangle-child friend Betony and the Brazzles of course, to succeed I wanted Snakeweed to get his comeuppance.
The sting in the tale of this book leaving me itching for a sequel to see what havoc Snakeweed can cause and how our friends from the other side of The Divide can be brought back into the story. Any chance?
If I enjoyed this magical ride this much, I just can't see how the kids that read it are going to contain their excitement. Any bedtime story reading adult has got his or her work cut out trying to find an appropriate place to stop this story for the night! My guess is most kids won't be sleeping until they've heard the lot.
A cracking read, a great insight into a fantastical world and I'm only left with one question...When will Snakeweed get a taste of his own medicine?
on 23 June 2004
I picked this book up because of the cover, then read the synopsis and was hooked, took me a couple of days to read and was gripped by the visuals that this author induced, I could see the characters, I love what my mind's eye produced, cannot wait until 1 July 2004 for the next instalment... READ THIS and see what you think.....
on 24 May 2016
Excellent fantasy novel. Thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the plot kept me glued the whole way through. Ideal for children and adults alike.
on 16 May 2004
Wow! This knocks JK into a cocked cauldron. Great music makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and reading this book did the same. It glued itself to my fingers until I`d finished. As one of those "children of any age", I found the alternative world created within the confines of the divided cover kept me hooked and enthralled throughout. Wonderful stuff. Roll on the sequel.
on 10 February 2007
I really enjoyed this novel, and it does truly trump Potter. My favourite animals were the comic scholarly Brazzles, and after them the worrits who will only eat people who they've caused to die laughing. Felix is a delightful, sympathetic lad, and I loved his tanglechild friends. Elizabeth Kay has created an exciting, colourful world, wonderfully imagined, and she does it with so much humour! I can't wait to read the others in the series
on 2 March 2004
When I first took this book off the shelf and held the unique split cover design in my hand I knew I was in possession of something special. Nothing about this brilliantly designed cover was lost in the opening of the book. It is by far the tightest novel I have read this year. It is intelligent, full of surprise and loads of fun. I'm certain anyone who enjoys fantasy, will adore this book - it’s definitely better than The Order of the Pheonix.
I can’t wait for the sequal!!!