Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 June 2010
I knew nothing of the 'Scottish Colourists' until I attended a lecture at my local branch of National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts. I was then totally smitten by the work of these artists and sought a book about their lives and paintings. This book is delightful. I bought it as part of a birthday gift to a loved one and then bought another copy for myself once I had seen it. I am particularly enamoured by the paintings by John Ferguson and Francis Cadell. Samuel Peploe and George Hunter are not far behind in this viewer's eye (it is, of course, a matter of personal opinion and others may place the latter to the fore). It is invidious really to make comparisons. If you are an art lover and do not know the works of these four fine artists I urge you to buy this book and luxuriate in the colour, line and delight of these four fine Scottish artists, all of whose work was hugely influenced by time spent among French artists in Paris. However, their own individuality shines through.
on 1 September 2011
Production values and value for money first. Beautifully presented, properly bound (stitched sections) with accurate colour reproduction (as far as I can recall from seeing some of the paintings), with a well-written, clear and properly informative text - this is a model of what Art books should be. When you factor in a price it has to be an absolute winner. If you don't about the colourists this is where you start. If you do you probably still need this book.

As for the paintings themselves, they show a variety of styles apart from the classic colourist post-impressionism. At times you could be looking at work by John Singer Sargent, at others by Whistler or even William Nicholson, but the great colourist works are nearly all here. This book is just an excellent piece of work.
on 25 January 2010
The Scottish Colourists: 1900-1930

Very enjoyable and well written. It will tell you all you need to know about these artists and about their collections in the National Galleries of Scotland. I hear the Galleries have just reprinted it!
on 20 February 2010
Until I saw Michael Palin on TV hosting a documentary on the Scottish Colourist's I had up to that time never heard of them, to my shame. I had to buy this book as well as his DVD on the subject. Well worth every penny. I am smitten and now a big fan of these fabulous artist.
on 26 December 2011
I bought this book to learn about the Scottish Colourists for an art course I am taking. This book is much better than I thought it would be. Full of inspirational images and good information about the artists.
on 1 September 2016
For anyone who loves the four great Scots -- Cadell, Peploe, Hunter and Fergusson -- this book is a must. It is a bit thin on images; I would have liked this book to be double the size and contain twice the number of paintings. Sadly, hardly any of the boys' many Iona works are included, and I felt that Fergusson (probably because he painted a lot!) was particularly under-represented here. But we still have plenty of lovely full-page plates to see, for example, how all the Colourists started off fairly conventional and ended up as anything but, and to appreciate the sheer force and beauty of their paintings.
The text is superb too, explaining everything from chronologies to lifelong friendships, and artistic influences, and sometimes the painters' own interpretations of their and each other's works. The Colourists are placed in the context of time and place, and it was very interesting to learn how truly cosmopolitan these painters' lives were -- everybody lived all over the place, France, Germany, Italy, the US, and then back to Scotland again. We also see how the culture and mores just before and after World War 1 were far more libertine than we now imagine. What interesting times those were, and how thoroughly European everybody was!
It was also very interesting to see just how controversial, and often loathed, the Scottish Colourists' art was at the time and for quite a while later. Their paintings are still not to everyone's taste and I would say that that's OK -- art is such a subjective things isn't it. Me, I can't understand how could anyone not love, for example, Hunter's "Reflections, Balloch", every single Iona painting, and every single one of Cadell's and Peploe's still lifes, with those joyous block colours and the impetuous squiggles and those broad, assured brush strokes. And then you have Fergusson's female nudes which, in the chest area, shall we say, look like they could poke your eye out... what's not to like?
on 27 October 2010
This is a lovely book with some amazing pictures. Only discovered the Scottish Colourists recently and was absolutely enchanted by their work.
on 17 January 2011
I purchased this book for my daughter who is an artist and she loved it , she had not heard of the movement and loved the palettes.
on 10 May 2011
Fabulous coverage of the Scottish Colourists. Everyone interested in painting should own one. These artists are often overlooked in art history, so an important addition to your library.
on 27 August 2016
Bought this from my recommended items list. What a lovely thing. The reproductions are wonderful, most in colour. I'm so glad I took a punt, a joy to own, and nice to learn something about Scottish art for a change which I knew next to nothing about. They hold their own against their foreign contemporaries.