on 28 October 2008
My mother used to read "Green Smoke" and all the other R Dragon stories to my brother and I at bed-time. The first page of "Green smoke" is one of the best pieces of child-orientated descriptive writing I've seen in a long while.

"I'm for Constantine Bay"!!!!!!!

You've just got to read this book. And if you can't read, then look at the wonderful pictures!
on 21 April 2013
I read this to my 5 year old and she loved it, (and I even enjoyed the story) I particularly liked that it is based around Cornwall and around a real beach/bay, It mentions real places and we even took a trip to the cave where the Dragon lived!! Great for children's imagination!! would highly recommend
on 30 November 2012
This book is made up of a series of engaging chapters that each stand alone whilst being part of an overarching theme. We read it from start to finish over several nights as a bed time story but it will also make a good 'dip into' book. Aimed at 6-10 year olds(?)it is well written in accessible grammar and introduces us to some of the folklore of Cornwall (including the death of Arthur) in an age appropriate way via 2 highly sympathetic protagonists (Susan and R. Dragon). Highly recommended.
on 16 December 2008
I saw this book and remembered enjoying it as a child. I've just read it to my kids, aged 8 and 6, who are really into castles, Arthurian legends etc, partly due to the Merlin TV series. We all loved the tales within the story, the timeless seaside setting and the quirky humour and I was delighted to rediscover it. Green Smoke is funny, imaginative and charming and not nearly as dated as many other old favourites I have inflicted on my children. The dragon is a wonderfully real character, a bit like a magical Victor Meldrew. My only problem, as a parent, was the feckless attitude of Susan's mother to her little girl clambering alone into caves on the beach... Needless to say, my kids thought this was the best bit! We would now love to read The Dragon's Quest, but I am disappointed to see it is out of print, as all the best books seem to be these days, in favour of endless series about the same tedious fairies...
on 14 August 2014
Its ok, but just hasn't quite got a good enough story to hold your interest - mine or 5&7 year old.
Something like the Jill Murphy's Worst Witch is a load better
on 31 May 2015
A cute little story, very much reminded me of the Enid Blyton classics from my childhood, kids will like it and adults surprisingly will do too!
on 23 February 2014
Used with my Year 2 class - they loved the story and several went out to buy the book themselves.
Highly recommend.
on 3 April 2014
Had this read to me when i was at school. Loved it so I've bought it for my granddaughter to read
on 21 August 2014
A wonderful story for children.
on 18 October 2015