Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 December 2006
Richard Adams wrote one of my favourite children's books of all time: "Watership Down". Now in his eighties, he still demonstrates how to tell a good story - but this time his subject is slavery.

"Daniel" is hard-hitting and unputdownable - it's a tremendously good read. It's also an excellent history lesson, in novel form. Adams has thoroughly researched his subject, which comes through in his very real characters and vivid descriptions. He tackles an extremely difficult and devastating episode - which couldn't be better timed, as we approach the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the slave trade early next year.

Always warm and wise, we follow the journey of Daniel from the awful conditions of his childhood as a slave, through the events of his life that lead him to William Wilberforce and the Abolitionists. I think this book is crucial reading towards our understanding of Britain's involvement in the slave trade, and for our understanding of next year's commemorations. It is also a wonderful story from a gifted storyteller.
on 6 January 2015
Rather a thin and "bitty" story line, seemed just about "adequately" researched to cover its Slavery Abolition background. But the writing style and continuity failed to hold me. Compared with other Richard Adams' books (I've read and enjoyed ) it seemed almost naive and fell well short of my expectations of a Good Read. Happily, it's not a long book

This (used) copy was in immaculate condition, supplied promptly and at a cost which, in effect, was really only post & packing.
Amazon always seems to me to do what's expected. of a great service organisation

MR-C