Customer reviews

on 13 December 2016
This was a joy to read. Very entertaining and conjures up wonderful images of the Greek islands from their glamour, to their natural beauty to their chaos. Harry's descriptions of people and places really do paint a clear picture. Although written a few years ago, I suspect little has changed in the majority of those places. Having read this book I would love to have the time to visit many of the islands myself.

At times the book was poignant, at others highly informative and at others just damned funny.

Read it!
on 5 April 2013
my wife loves her books on greece,which she then passes on to me,bought this as part of her Christmas present,she really enjoyed it and i must say after i read it i could see why.Its not the usual,bought house in greece had trouble with the builders type of book and excellant read.
on 21 September 2013
A wonderfully sardonic account of the author's peregrinations in the Greek Islands. It not only makes you smile at the sheer pleasure of life but makes you want to go and book a ticket to go there NOW and even perhaps share a glass of something nice with the author who I'm sure has more tales up his sleeve.
on 27 December 2012
An adventurous and funny account of island hopping with a mixture of detailed history, geography, and all the richness one can easily miss when visiting another country.

Woven throughout is a wonderful portrayal of his travel's zeitgeist, the people, places, food, culture, architecture, and of course methods of travel; which stand out in delightful and poetically descriptive encounters.

If you are a fan of Bill Bryson's style of humorous and informative writing in 'Neither Here, Nor There: Travels in Europe' you will love this book.
on 27 February 2014
What glorious escape! I absolutely romped through it, albeit conversely didn't want it to end, for I was so enjoying basking in the warmth of the Greek Islands, alongside Harry.
I wished myself there for so much of his journey... And anyone that is familiar with Greece will recognise parallels with characters and experiences, I'm sure!
There is a lot to enjoy as he provides a taster of all the island groups. It is rare to find a decent modern travelogue which includes a tour of all the islands (so many Greek travelogues document life on one island).
He writes with charming wit – plus Harry clearly researched extensively before his visits, thus many tales are interspersed with accessible historical facts and information. Though my only criticism is some islands get more love than others! (I suppose it's hard to edit everything!) But some islands were more tales of an evening exploit, and we didn't get much insight on the island itself. Though this is more towards the end of the journey, and thus 'holiday-season', so perhaps this is a factor.

This is written after the second time of reading this book; I think I enjoyed it more this time around too.

Surely a must-read for your next Greek holiday? (If it hasn't inspired you to book a six-month vacation of island-hopping yourself!!)

Looking forward to the next journey...
on 5 August 2013
Having just returned from Greece, a place I have visited many times over 34 years, I found this book to be interesting and honest, even if I did not always agree with the author's views on some things. It is a good read and gives insight to the Greek way of life across the many hundreds of islands. Interesting to compare the way people lived there 50 years or more ago, and now.... not sure that life has really improved for the Greek islanders or visitors on some islands, but there are other places which are stunning, unspoilt and little changed to compromise the Greek origins despite it now being the 21st century.
on 13 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - lots of historical background, and very well written. I savoured every chapter and was gutted when I got to the end and discovered there wasn't a sequel or a "next episode". It will be one I re-read. A joy to dwell on in the winter months!
on 16 September 2014
A sheer delight and a wonderful window through which to experience the captivating lure of the Aegean.
Oozing with personality, wit and charm and woven with mythological and historical insight, "In the Dolphin's Wake" is an inspirational and genuinely absorbing journey. Having travelled a somewhat similar passage myself, Harry's book is highly recommended.
on 27 June 2011
This is a `classical' travel book. The author's voyage took him through three dozen Greek islands and he recorded his impressions with a keen eye and a great sense of humour. I caught myself laughing out loud many times with the descriptions of the excentricities of his fellow travellers . The book is also well researched, with historical background giving an extra dimension to all his experiences, in this region so steeped in history. It was a pleasure to read, and I couldn't put it down.
on 27 June 2011
A lovely book and perfect for dipping into to glean some information about such a wonderful country . I thoroughly enjoyed it and have given copies to everyone planning to visit Greece this summer.