Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 October 2011
As a long time 30 years lover of Greece, I found this book utterly delightful, informative, amusing & entertaining. I read it whilst on holiday in Kos & although Kos wasn`t visited in the book, many other islands I`ve visited in the past were. I felt as though I knew the author & would have loved to have joined him on his travels !
on 20 May 2012
A funny tail about a mans trip around the Greek Islands. The tails of his mishaps and adventures and the people he meets on his travels.
on 4 January 2012
Bucknall has brilliantly and flamboyantly completed the journey which most Greek travellers yearn to do, namely to island hop without rushing and in so doing to savour the stories, sights and sounds of each of these unique isles which make up the maritime gems of the Greek archipelagic crown. Rich in history, both ancient and modern, these outposts of Hellenism still retain their quirky individuality which Bucknall has an unerring sense of divining. Even in places layered with a thick veneer of tourism, he uncovers real island life through conversing with ex-pat bar owners, Eastern European hotel workers, aristocratic Greeks or local fishermen among others. It is this ability to talk affably to all that marks Bucknall out as an observer and raconteur of distinction. Throughout the book, readers are unfailingly entertained, lightly informed and gently educated, the end result being an urge to follow in Bucknall's footsteps. In the Dolphin's Wake deserves prime of place on the reading list of everyone heading for Greece, bedside, inflight or beach.
on 26 August 2011
Harry's odyssey around the islands of Greece in 2006(7?) is a world away from Greece's current headline news and it's economic woes. What I loved about this book is the way he takes you along with him, you can travel from your armchair (or your bed) and enjoy the different experiences & tastes of each island and they vary by a staggering amount. When u leave one island with him, you cant wait to get to the next one. He has his own particular interests in history, warfare (as an ex soldier), legend and holy sites but that is what you want, as it's a personal viewpoint. Some islands I know a little about myself, and he doesn't mention some elements of these I know - but that's what makes the book, its about his journey and outlook. His descriptions of the holy sites at Mt Athos, and for me, in particular the Monastery of St John at Patmos are very interesting and atmospheric. You can pop in and out of the book and re-read these sections later as they have much to absorb. What I also appreciated is the way he also includes the everyday of the tourist trip, the ferry offices, the taxis & bad hotels as well as the pleasant ones. He even takes in the touristy islands and is not too snobbish to put them into the mix. Its a tricky act to pull off, myth, legends, religion, WWII and girl's nights out,.... but he does it and stays in style. What I also loved is that his trip isn't about some personal 'journey' or some life changing search. There is no baggage here(pun intended)- just the joy of travel and ...having some fun along the way.
on 27 January 2012
I found this disappointing - it's a series of very superficial accounts of islands, with potted histories, but little evidence of real cultural understanding of Greece and its people.
on 12 August 2011
This book offered me nothing but joy and satisfaction. It has a healthy dosage of historical fact mixed in amongst some hilarious anecdotes. During the read you really get a sense of the diversity between each island and its people. The different personalities met along the way create some bizarre and wonderful situations, written in such a way that you can formulate a very good idea of what this person looks like and how he acts in what might seem to them as an everyday situation.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would reccommend it not just to those about to go on their holidays around the Greek islands, but also those who enjoy a good sense of humour and adventure. I look forward to hearing of any other books from this terribly amusing author
on 11 October 2011
OK, I don't do devouring, raveging or feeling books. I just read them.
And this book is without doubt the best travel book I have ever read, and I have read a lot of them in my travels. Most of them ill informed and wet behind the ears.
What you have with this fellow is an Ex Soldier who grabs the Bull firmly by the horns in what ever he seems to do on this journey.
At times, actually most of the time whilst reading this book, I was in stitches of laughter. the reason is that the Author has a style of writing that makes him seem real (which of course he is), the setting and the people seem real but, most of all, makes some of the quite normal situations for a traveller of the Greek Islands, seem hilarious as he deals with them with a dry, witty and a somtimes submissive sense of humour (if you can't beat em, join em).
I read this book twice in a row and chuckled more second time round at his descriptions of his sometimes predicament and the people causing him to be in such a predicament.
There is a lot of reference to Classical Greek Art which I have to admit, I wasn't overly familiar with. In fact, I wasn't familiar with it at all but, that gave me a good excuse to hit the internet and find out what was what and for that, I am wiser today than I was before. I wonder if the Greeks would sell me some of that waste Marbel for a new fire surround ? Shame to waste it on a very old half finished statue ? Remember 300 !!
Well done Mr Bucknall, first rate book old boy.
on 29 December 2014
A light, enjoyable read. Perhaps would have been better in two volumes dealing with these fascinating islands in more depth
on 8 August 2011
The book seemed to ramble on without ever actually focusing on a specific aspect -I was not sure what point the author was trying to make as he touched on too many different topics. In addition there were so many spelling mistakes, which I found quite irritating.
on 12 May 2015
An excellent, informative and amusing read