on 25 June 2017
Alastair is a good writer which makes this book a real pleasure to read. I love his self-deprecating style and his descriptions of the many places he visited and people he met brought the book to life. As well as being about travel, this is about humanity and the universality of our lives. whether you live in England, Poland or Syria the same things will matter to you - your home, your family, friends etc etc. Alistair skilfully moves between the subject of travel and culture and the book is all the better for it. He sounds like a bit of a scruff all of the way through and the photos are great. This isn't a book for bike nerds who want to know about how he stuffed his panniers, what he took to sleep on and whether he owned a Garmin - it's a book for everyone who enjoys a tale about a great journey. I have also purchased his book, Microadventures - also a good read.
on 28 June 2017
If you are reading this it's probably because you are dithering over whether to buy or not.
Stop dithering and buy it.
This is one of the best travel books I have ever read. It works to inspire for your next trip and it works to entertain when you get your few minutes escape form the rat race and can daydream of expeditons and distant wanderlust. The fact that AH's highlights include Syria, Somalia and Colombia only add to the mystery and madness of his trip.
Brilliant.
on 9 May 2017
A well written honest un-varnished tale of life on the road. His honesty and self questioning is refreshing. A must read for anyone considering a long distance bicycle tour.
on 11 August 2017
What did the letter from Sarah say!!!
on 28 July 2013
Honest, funny, gripping and very interesting! I love the simplicity of Alastair's approach to the adventure. I very well written book!
on 28 December 2006
I bought this book after hearing Alastair Humphreys give a talk on his adventures, when I was awestruck by his courage, fortitude and zest for life. The book gives a real insight into what ordinary people he met on his journey were like. We all have images of war torn nations and terrorism thrown at us on a daily basis - but this book serves to remind that there are a great many more kind and hospitable people in the world. I can only imagine what reception an unwashed youth on a bike might get if he knocked on the average door in the UK seeking food and shelter - but he found many people happy to welcome him, which I found inspiring. I am going to share this book with all my nephews and nieces - in the hope they they will realise that there are adventures to be had, if you're willing to get off the couch and seize the moment. Well written, and enthusiastically read. I hope he's busy writing the next instalment, because I'm eager to read it.
on 16 January 2008
Alastair Humphreys spends four years cycling around the world... not just around, but London to South Africa via the middle east, the bottom tip of South America to Alaska, then, Russia, Japan, and through Central Asia and Europe before returning home.

The only detail missing in this book is "Why?" Although, I'm not sure even Alastair knows! The first book details the London to South Africa leg, with a large portion dedicated to various African nations. Alastair's writing, slightly patchy in early chapters, finds a rhythm by the second half of the book. There is plenty of detail on his see-sawing emotions, daily routines, strict budgeting, encounters with the locals and many humorous anecdotes. Alastair kept a diary throughout his journey and the level of detail is wonderful as a result.

The question of African poverty becomes more confusing as Alastair travels through Ethiopia and sees some of the negative aspects of aid and charity.

He saved 7000 pounds to undertake this journey and lived extremely cheaply. It is inspiring stuff.
on 12 December 2006
Alastair was on the road for over 4 years on less than 4 quid a day. Just those facts are amazing enough but I find the whole story quite incredible and in this book he tells you how he did it - meaning how he coped with it mentally and grew from the experience. That's far more important knowledge than the nuts and bolts of travel in my opinion, and he has a rare honesty and the smarts to figure out how he could make it to the end, and the ability to write it down for our benefit afterwards.

This is gritty travel, not as tourism, but to gain insights into the world, into himself, into life itself. It's powerful stuff and I can't wait for the next part of the story to be published.
on 24 October 2006
A mix of humour, sharp observation, philosophy and very English self deprecation. Humphreys' style is original, pithy and informative. I look forward to hearing much more from this unique voice.
on 3 June 2017
Alastair eloquently shares his thirst for wanderlust as well as the demons inside of his head. Alistairs dedication and passion is incredible, as is evident throughout the many fascinating stories in this book. Thank you Alistair for sharing your amazing journey. Thank you for displaying your doubts and your trials. And thank you for teaching me to ask more of myself. This book has had--and continues to have--a profound impact on life. Thank you once again. I wish you all the best.