Customer reviews

on 5 November 2016
Recommended by a friend. Evokes the extraordinary travails of the aboriginals of the Australian deserts. Ulimately very moving - a gem of a book.
on 27 March 2015
Recommended to me by my daughter in Oz. It is a very good read and a very moving true story.
Buy it and read it if you can find a copy.
on 29 January 2018
Great book
on 13 February 2015
A fascinating book for anyone interested in aboriginal life and Australia.
on 14 January 2015
Its amazing story to read about Australia.
on 24 January 2011
This book can be read in a day easily as it is only about 160 pages long and the print is of a decent size with well spaced paragraphs.

I found the topic interesting but not riveting, that said though I did read it in one sitting as I was interested enough to find out what happened in the end.

I love non fiction books that teach about social history from the persepctive of those who have lived and breathed the topic. Sadly though with this book I didn't find that I became part of the world the writer was describing, maybe this was due to him also being a spectator of the aboriginal people's lives rather than being one of them.

In my opinion the book doesnt seduce the reader the way books written by the the person who has lived the life being decribed can do. It was more matter of fact in my opinion. Incidentally the writer comes across as a decent chap.

I would recommend this book if you fancy a quick and decent read that doesnt tax the brain but I wouldnt put it in my top 20 books.
on 9 June 2004
On a whim I wanted to learn something about Aboriginal Australian culture as it really is and was, it turned out to be a great book choice. I'd highly recommend this readable and compelling account of the search for the last two truely nomadic australians. Moving and informative, its hard not to feel for a people who have lost so much at the hands of white colonial culture and seemingly gained so little. Through the pages we learn how land and culture are/were inseperably tied in traditonal aboriginal life - the land and their relationship to it forms the all important aboriginal "law". On another level the book is also a love story against the odds, set against the backdrop of a beautiful but unforgiving environment. Real books like this, a window on to a fast disappearing world are surely worth there weight in gold! May all beings be well.
on 14 April 2012
The author WJ Peasley has written about the Aboriginal couple, on which the story is based, with wisdom and great sensitivity. It is very much worth reading. It left me thinking and questioning once again how we humans treat each other. It is in my opinion from the couple's point of view more than sad and extremely noble of them to have continued their life together in opposition to the Elders "moral rules" (obviously originally created for the preservation of individual "tribes/clans"). It is also heartening (and heart rendering)from the Elder's (that cared enough to wanted to bring them back to civilisation) point of view. What a mixture of hidden emotions he must have experienced.
on 20 May 2011
An amazing story of unconditional love amongst a group of first Australians.
Mudjon goes searching for his old hunting companion Warri, who is living in the Gibson desert with Yutungka, his wife.
They have been out there for decades living in the old ways of their people, but the ageing couple may not survive the drought that has fallen on the land.
Fearful to return to their tribe due to breaking tribal law to pursue their love for one another, Warri and Yutungka remain in the desert unheard from, their fates unknown.
A touching tale which took me on a journey through historical events, beautiful landscapes, the personalities of the search party, the ways of the tribal members and aboriginal desert communities. The first Australians have much knowledge of the land and a rich spiritual life.
I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the lives of the Koori, Aboriginal, or as I like to call them, the first Australians.
on 2 December 2002
I read this book whilst spending a year backpacking around Australia, where the Aboriginal people are treated as outcasts by the majority of people.
When over there I only saw a bad side of this race of people, untill I read this book and it really opened my eyes to the way theye are treated and how they have had to cope with a huge upheaval in their lives and culture. A really interesting book that looks at the journey to try and find the last two traditinally living aboriginal people, a really facinating tale of survival.