Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 December 2011
Laduree's Sucre comes packaged in a replica of their famous macaron box, and it looked so similar that I actually had people in my office thinking I had a rather large box of macarons!

The writers or translators of Laduree have done a fabulous job transferring the opulence of their tea salons into this recipe book. With it's mouth watering pastry pictures, velvety pistachio green cover and gold gilded pages, this book is a little work of art. There are oodles of recipes in it. Everything from Vanilla Eclairs and Strawberry Napoleons to Raspberry and Rose Sundae's and of course - their famous macarons

A few samples of the mouth watering offerings:

Chestnut Barquettes
Chocolate Mousse
Pistachio Sour Cherry Verrines
Lemon Cake
Cherry Calfoutis

The variety is endless......

There are several recipes included from their infamous macarons, but my past history of macaron making has been a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they turn out beautifully, and sometimes they don't. I have no idea why. So for now, I'll try my hand at making a few other Paris pastries from the book and stick to buying my macarons from Laduree. Speaking of which - each year Laduree partners with one (sometimes more) famous fashion brands to design and release a limited edition macaron box. This year Laduree has partnered up with famed Gibraltarian fashion designer John Galliano, and I must say the box is absolutely gorgeous. Last month I popped into the Dubai branch of Laduree and picked one up. I couldn't help but rush down there the day after they were released so I could get a hold of one. In case you don't know - I'm a bit obsessed with collecting Laduree Macaron boxes. The limited edition John Galliano box is available in Laduree stores now.
on 26 December 2010
I received this book as a Christmas present, and I must admit, it is absolutely gorgeous. Inside a beautifully illustrated box, under a layer or lilac crepe paper lay a pastel green, velvety book, with golden lined pages. Inside it were pages and pages of the French recipes, with wonderful pictures of expertly cooked cakes, biscuits, pastries and of course, macarons, laid out exquisitely on glass platers, or romantic table clothes or delicate china plates. The book, and all the sweets in it are truly works of art.
But now onto the recipes themselves. I've always baked, and was interested to try this book that showed baking as more a fine art than anything else. Precision and patience are two words that come to mind when thinking about what is required to follow these recipes. If you get it right, it's amazing, and getting it right can take a few goes. If you're not a confident cook, and lack the time, patience or skill to take your time and perfect these little pastries I probably wouldn't recommend, however, with experience, this book can be substance over style.
One final point is ingredients and equipment. Some of the recipes do require a few oddities, for example barquette moulds. They do exist, but certainly not down the kitchen aisle at Sainsbury's, and the same for nougat cream, though I tracked it down in the end, it wasn't without a bit of effort. This book is an exquisite peak into the elegant patisserie of Paris, Laduree, with patience, it can provide miracles to endlessly impress family and guests, but don't expect perfection the first time round.
on 5 January 2011
I was given this book as a christmas present and was overjoyed to unwrap this gorgeous soft mint green and shiny gold package - a surprising description for a cookery book.
The book is a feast for the eyes, first of all, and I have spent much time relaxing with it and a cup of tea, simply enjoying the pictures.
The recipes are very precise and moderately easy to follow - I spent a day making three types of macaroon and their fillings - they worked brilliantly and looked just like the picture.
This is a really inspiring book and a wonderful present either for someone who enjoys a little challange in the kitchen, or for someone who would simply enjoy looking at the most glamorous cookbook ever produced.
on 8 December 2010
I am recently back from Paris with my girlfriend and one of the many bakeries and cafes we visited was Ladurée. In my opinion Ladurée is one of the best in Paris and definitely worth a visit if you are a fan of macaroons.

They sell this book in the shop but it is written in French but this version is written entirely in English.

I am a passionate cook and but a lot of cook books but this one is by far the most attractive one I have bought or even seen. The book comes in a box in typically Ladurée design and when you open the box you find the cover and back is made of padded material. The edges of the book is also that gold way you see on lots of old or expensive books.

Inside the book contains the recipes for pretty much most of the items on the Ladurée menu. I have not conducted an identical comparison but we recognised most of the cakes and pastries from the shop counter and the book even has the recipe for the hot chocolate that we had for breakfast.

Each recipe has a beautiful accompanying picture but the steps are a bit less descriptive than the likes you will find in the mainstream celebrity chef books but for someone that has a solid grounding in cooking they should suffice.

Due to its feminine looks the book will make an excellent present for your girlfriend/wife/mum etc. but similarly it has not stopped me getting stuck into the recipes.

Great book, 5 stars
on 21 January 2013
This book is amazing! I made the macaron recipe and it was amazing! For a brief moment I thought I was back in Paris!
on 2 February 2011
Couldn't make a better gift for the special person in your life that appreciates the wonder of Laduree, or maybe it can become a wonderful gift for yourself! I loved getting the beautifully presented book. I know I will read, cook, and enjoy this for years.
on 22 July 2011
An amazing beautiful book!! The recipes are well written, accompanied by a picture, and include little bits of advice from the chefs at Laduree. It even comes in a pretty box with purple tissue paper. Would make a wonderful gift.
on 7 August 2016
These gorgeous Laduree books beautifully wrapped in tissue and boxed, with gold leaf pages and a range of wonderful recipes are a joy to own. Never in a million years could books like this be replaced by "Kindle and the like". You have to unwrap the delicate tissue, feel the suede cover and revel in all things French - and that's before you check out the recipes. Nearest thing to Heaven is a Laduree book
on 27 July 2011
I don't think I'll actually ever make any of the wonderful confections in this book (except perhaps the ice cream) but I love leafing through it and imagining I will! It's such a beautiful little book - a perfect gift for a cookery book collector.
on 3 April 2012
The book is beautifully packaged and bound, and the photos are a delight, but only show the finished product; so no step-by-step photos, which means you will need some level of proficiency to understand the techniques they describe. Some have purchased this book for a coffee-table display; I, however, don't mind getting it covered in flour, sugar and other such ingredients.

Some buffoon had this priced at over $400 when I was purchasing it, and I bought it from the UK as other reviewers instructed for around 40 GBP. Turns out that now the same book is available on the US Amazon site for around $26...eh...win some and you lose some. Shipping from the UK to the US was a breeze, and I received the book within 10 days or so.

Overall...Great Book!