Customer reviews

on 16 April 2018
This is one of a growing number of personal account of boys serving in the armed forces. Like most of them, it is entirely subjective and offers a personal perspective.

The author has shown astonishing courage in the breadth of experiences he has been prepared to share. Perhaps it is only now that books like this can be written.

Len Chester joined the Royal Marines at the age of 14 and was thrust into a world he had no knowledge of. Many thousands came before and after and this book represents their shared experiences.

Highly recommended for people who want a genuine glimpse into a life away from fantasy heroics.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 August 2011
The book is short & sweet. I found it interesting purely because I too was a Royal Marines Bugler and served at some of the places that the author did, albeit 30-40 years later. I think that it would provide little interest to anyone who does not have a connection with the service past or present. It is not badly written and I did enjoy reading it. Len certainly comes across as a very likeable character and a gentleman and his book will stay in my collection for many years to come.
VINE VOICEon 7 December 2007
Am I allowed to review my dad's book? We'll soon know if this appears, if not you'll be none the wiser!
You have no idea what I went through to persuade my dad to write all this down, months of nagging to at least get this on the record for the family, so to get it in print for the nation, with a foreword by the Duke of Edinburgh is an added bonus. As the stories started to appear, e mailed to my inbox each morning after my dad had sat up on sleepless nights recalling events of so long ago,I was overwhelmed because suddenly the impact of it all became clear. My dad had lost his youth and his teenage years in the service of his country and do you know, he never moaned about it once! All those years of growing up and I barely knew any of it, nothing laid on me when I was 14 ..."if you knew what I'd been doing when I was 14", nothing like that at all so that makes all this even more remarkable because now I understand where his sense of humour comes from, and his common sense and his ability to keep a home ship shape and just about everything else about him that I've always taken a bit for granted.He didn't want to write about death and destruction, just about the things that struck him as a 14 year old boy fighting a man's war so you can safely give this book to any 14 year old today and they might understand a bit more about what that generation did for them. I know I'm grateful and even more grateful, for obvious reasons that he survived!
on 1 October 2009
I too have red this simple, elegant and thought provoking book and it is a must for anyone that wants to get an idea of both life as a Boy Bugler in the Royal Marines and about how individuals played their part in the ultimate triumph over evil.

Len Chester's Bugle Boy explores the difficult (and sometimes brutal) world of a young lad trying to survive service life during a period of uncertainty and 'grown-up' challenges. If you have a son (or daughter for that matter) they might just be a little more appreciative of how easy life today is if they read this book. Thank you Len and all those brave lads that didn't return...