Showing 1-10 of 122 reviews(5 star). See all 140 reviews
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 May 2017
This is just lovely, an absolute must-buy for anyone who enjoys good honest cooking and is a fan of The Broons. The Broons are timeless, and so is this book. These are recipes with a very strongly Scottish flavour, exactly those that would have come down the generations. Most schools no longer teach cookery but many of the recipes that featured here featured in my school cookery lessons forty-five years ago.

The scrapbook format is so imaginative and the 'handwritten' notations by various Broon family members are a joy. The Twins and The Bairn have used it as a drawing and 'flicker' book, mostly with portraits of others in the family. My own best - used cookbooks have notes and magazine articles poking out of them. The cover of my Marguerite Patten Seventies cookbook is even the same faded maroon shade as Maw's book.

The book is in standard sections - soup, meat, puddings, baking etc. - and what rescues it from novelty and makes it useful, is a very well organised index. Maw''s copperplate handwriting is easy to follow once you get the hang of it, and I had a quiet chuckle at many of the asides. This is a beautifully put together labour of love. Impossible to give it anything other than five stars
on 31 May 2016
I absolutely love this book! It has all the traditional Scottish recipes that I can think of (being a Scot). I really like the way it is presented to look like a recipe scrap book. I have two just like this, but they are real scrapbooks, with discoloured sellotape, handwritten recipes from various people and comments added! I cannot wait to try out recipes which will take me back to my childhood. I used to enjoy The Broons weekly page too so having some of these in the book is an added bonus.
on 19 March 2011
I bought this when it first came out and loved it so much I showed it to my sister - who thought I was giving it to her. What could I do? I bought myself another copy!

As well as loads of recipes the pages are full of comic asides in true Broons style, as well as being cunningly illustrated so when you have it open as you cook your own spills and splashes will be perfectly integrated.

OK, so a lot of the recipes may have a high calorie and/or fat content - but these meals were intended for those doing hard manual work, often outdoorsMaw Broon's Cookbook: The Broon's Cookbook - for Every Day and Special Days. As an occasional treat for the more sedentary among us, I don't see anything wrong in it.

PS The lentil soup recipe on page 36 is to die for and, although Maw may prefer it made with a ham hough, I find ham stock cubes do just as well!
on 9 August 2013
Awae ye go is how I felt when I saw this on line at Amazon but when it arrived, I was over the moon. An unexpected book, full of nostalgia for me anyway and my family living in Scotland. I remember reading the Broons album every Xmas and after school and loving it so much. All the recipes are just as I remembered it, I cook a lot even now. A book with funny little comments and truer words never spoken from Maw Broon. I will order more of these this week I cannot praise it enough! Nut just for the Scots but for everyone who enjoys good food and a braw sense of humour. Enjoy I am awae to look through it again, it's jist that sorte book!
on 19 January 2017
fantastic history cooking book meaning things in the book you wouldn't want to cook but some really interesting things to try how cooking should be done from the past no microwaves
on 15 July 2017
Great book with loads of recipes, a must buy if you can understand scotish slang, tried to order 2 more but out of stock, will keep trying
on 17 March 2018
Easy to follow receipes and as a Scot, a little taste of home.
on 21 June 2012
This is a super book, its made to look like an old fashioned scrap book/recipe book,(including jam splodges & spillages on the pages) and I must say they have done a very good job. There are good old fashioned simple hearty recipes with a hint of comedy thrown in. I have only just received it in the post but I can see that I will have a lovely time leafing through it.
on 29 January 2018
Lovely selection of recipes .. I found the illustrations very nostalgic .. my copy is going to USA to my brother .. the seller advertised the book like new and wow they where not joking there is not a mark on it and it was an absolute bargain !!
on 13 September 2014
This was a gift for relatives in Canada, they were very pleased with it but I wasn't there long enough to have tasted anything cooked by them, however, they would recommend it to anyone interested in Scottish cooking.