Showing 1-10 of 111 reviews(5 star). See all 144 reviews
on 4 October 2017
Great range of recipes. Marguerite explains every aspect of preserving clearly and precisely and gives a probable yield for each recipe. A beginner to preserving or a more experienced cook alike would find this book very handy.
on 28 February 2015
this book is my bible, I just love it, I mislaid mine and ordered it, then found mine, no regrets, had the old one for donkey's years and it finally fell to bits, one complaint about this book the pages fall out easier than they should, needs to be ring bound. I shall glue mine, or take it to bits and ring
bind it, it is a fabulous book, and I have bought it for presents, as everyone should own it, homemade jam and chutneys you can't beat them.
Elizabeth
on 16 September 2017
I've had great fun looking through this book! Will be trying out the easy recipes soon!
on 10 December 2015
This is the second time that I have bought this book. Once again fantastic and comprehensive recipes. Even better for those of us who have vegetable gardens and always seem to have too many veggies to spare. Great way to use them up and give them away as pressies. Would recommend.
on 11 June 2014
A fab range of preserves from pickles, jams, bottled fruits and diabetic preserves. A real prime in traditional British preserving (you won't find any American style water bath canning here.) No laid out in a simple no nonsense way with primers in all the basics at the start of each chapter. A must for anyone interested in "putting by".
on 30 July 2017
So easy to make our own jam now.
on 6 January 2018
This has become my go to recipe book for all things preserving. It includes recipes for less common products and old fashioned things as my Mum used to make. As usual, Marguerite Patten can be relied on.
on 25 February 2011
This is one of three books I purchased because I was embarking on preserve making as a new career. The book was very helpful and informative. If my maths is correct this book had 15 'reprints' so it must good! It takes the novice right from the very basic begins, the technical bits that you need to know to make a jam or such like, which if you wanted to take this to a commercial level you would need to know. Full of useful receipts which I imagine are tried and tested.
on 25 May 2016
My favorite jam, chutney and pickles book. Loads of easy to follow recipies with many variations. I go to this time and time again with great results and always get asked when I am making any more!
on 17 February 2010
Marguetite Patten is such a fount of knowledge that if anyone wants to learn the art of preserving, this is the one to consult. Lots of interesting recipes (no pictures) and a good guide to the best way to get good results from preserving.
This is a good one for beginners but has enough interesting recipes to keep more practised preservers happy.The Basic Basics Jams, Preserves and Chutneys
2 people found this helpful