Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 July 2017
Very informative easy to read and a good guide for help without all the serious jargon. I know this will help me
on 2 July 2009
I've suffered from recurrent depression all my life, and am very slowly recovering from one of the worst attacks. I'm not a great believer in self-help books, so I must have been pretty desperate to buy this. Still any port in a storm, as they say, and this storm's been a killer.

This book is full of little snippets of fact and loads of cartoons. You can dip into it a page or two at a time. What it says - and what the cartoons illustrate - is none of it new, but it's the way it's presented that worked for me. When I was feeling really wretched I'd flick through it, find a likely double-page spread, and focus. The short sentences, the bullet points, the piccies - each tell you sensible, truthful stuff you already know but in a way that's effortless to absorb. When your concentration is shot and you feel like a pathetic waste of space, this approach - tiny facts, valid advice, drawings that dramatize your feelings - well, it worked for me. I was surprised how useful I found it - but I did find it very useful.
on 23 February 2012
I tried this book as it looked a bit different to the 'usual' depression and self help genre books. However, it just wasn't for me. I found the cartoons and some of the grammar off putting and to be honest, a bit condescending and simplistic.

I can imagine that if you have just encountered mild depression and don't know much about it, this may prove useful in some limited way but for anything more serious and for more in depth help, choose something else. (best book I've ever encountered - Sunbathing in the Rain by Gwyneth Lewis).
on 16 January 2010
Cannot recommend this book enough, I was recently off work, I couldn't eat or sleep and went along to the doctors who diagnosed me with depression and anxiety. This was caused by a couple of life events and basically a build up of different things. I burned out.

Got a few books (after a couple of weeks when I was able to concentrate again)but this one just hit the mark. Some of the quotes of people who suffer depression I've actually said myself, it really resonated. I liked the no nonsense, look this is what it is attitude, this is what you can do about it, with very little psychobabble!!!

If your just an ordinary person trying to get along and depression has all but wiped you out, you're just looking for a no nonsense "guide", easy to read but informative, this is for you.

I'm even passing on to my parents so they can understand better!
on 8 November 2006
This is a great little book. As someone who has suffered from mild depression, and who has family members who suffer from both moderate and severe depression, I would recommend this book to anyone who wants an introduction to the subject. I will certainly be handing it around my family.

The clear text and amusing illustrations do a great job of taking away the misunderstandings and stigma still sometimes attached to depression. It then goes on to give brief, clear and positive ways of coping and dealing with your own depression, or that of people close to you.

Buy this book!
on 27 January 2007
If this book had been around during my years of coping with depression I would have been able to explain to the people nearest to me exactly what I was going through and not felt that I was some kind of (freak, drop out, a changed person, ). The book also has for me personally put to bed the stigma attached to having depression. It hasn't been something THAT I WANTED TO TALK ABOUT but through the illustrations in the book I feel that because they are funny to look at you immediately have a picture of the humorous side of depression first and the illness side of depression second. I am sure that it would now prompt me to discuss its contents with people because I wouldn't have to start my conversation with explanations of depression I couldn't see that before and perhaps I still wouldn't have seen that on the onset of my personal suffering but I am convinced that even if the illustrations had even brought a smile to my face the whole world (well my world) wouldn't have been so bad.
on 6 November 2006
This book is most useful because it tackles the problem of depression in powerful and lucid terms, whilst being easy to follow. (many depression books are a bit 'heavy'). Also, the graphic cartoons make it really easy to read and make you sit up and take notice whilst making sure you don't forget all the helpful points made. The book is great in defining depression and most people will, I think, find it valuable in helping them to deal with depression on a daily basis. The price is good too!
on 1 June 2007
This is a great little book for anyone suffering from depression. It manages to be concise, accurate, humorous, sympathetic and informative all at once. Each page can be looked at randomly and still make perfect sense to anyone with a depression problem. When you are depressed the last thing you want, or are able to do, is wade through pages of heavy jargon. This book is the total opposite. Lightweight yet very helpful and humorous. It helped me. It's good to know before you get a book that it's going to help. I would recommend it.
11 Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2006
This is a very accessible read that is brought to life by the perceptive and humorous cartoons.

Conceptualising depression as a 'virus' is an interesting and visual way to convey the debilitating experience. It clarifies fact from fiction and lets you dip into features that may be pertinent to you in surviving depression.
on 10 November 2006
I work on a UK based self-management programme for people who live with long-term health conditions. Many people have depression because of their condition and many attend because of depression.

I think this is a really simple self-help book for people to identify with and to also help them self-manage their depression more effectively.

I will make sure a copy of this book is on my resource table when I deliver a self-management programme.