on 13 February 2015
The version I have describes itself as "The Kindle Edition". I am using a Kindle Fire HD, 7" and I cannot recommend that edition of this book. I have the print version and that is VERY good, five stars! But the Kindle version that I have is not good because of the search method. I believe I am right in saying that the method of searching for a word is to enter that word in the SEARCH (magnifying glass) area available at the bottom of the screen. As a test, I put in the word PASTA. I really couldn't believe how long it took. It was about 4 minutes, and that was on a new Kindle Fire HD. Four minutes might not seem like a long time - but how long would a check of the same word have been in a book? Ten seconds?
What Bradford's needs is an App, like Chambers. The Kindle version of Bradford's is not fit for purpose.
One person found this helpful
on 7 April 2011
We are now on our 2nd copy of Anne Bradford's 'Crossword Solver's Dictionary' the 2005 edition, which has has so much use in the past 6 years that it is in a sorry condition indeed, being entirely held together by a combination of elephant tape, sellotape,and super-glue, but have to reluctantly concede that its decline is terminal, and as we are are both avid crossword fans (yes retired you will have guessed correctly)we cannot conceive being without our 'Bradford's'. As soon as this review is finished an order will be placed with Amazon for the latest edition.

Being not the 'brightest' crossword 'Johnnies' on the block we need back-up and having tried other 'crossword aid' books and electronic gadgets, we always revert back to Braford's which accompany's us wherever we roam 'crossword solving' internally or externally which is a bit of a bugger when it is left outdoors overnight in the rain - no wonder it's condition has deteriorated.

As far as we are concerned Bradford's is the solver of choice and for all but the most avid of General Knowledge puzzlers, arguably the only one that is needed.
8 people found this helpful
on 14 February 2014
Fabulous companion for people who like cryptic crosswords. I'm just starting out and this book is invaluable. My only gripe is that the printed book has "answers" in alphabetical order rather than order of number of letters which for cryptics I feel would be more useful.

I have also bought the Kindle Version so that I can use it whilst travelling (which I do often for work) and bizzarely that does have the "answers" ordered by the number of letters.

The printed Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (which I also have) does have the answers in length order if I were to just have one printed book I would choose the Chambers.
on 3 August 2014
Consider whether this offers what you need. The contents are a list of words in A-Z order with synonyms. Some words are also explained e.g. that it is an anagram indicator, but not all e.g. "Broken". Nor are formulae such as 'at home' indicates "in".

I suspect this is useful for crosswords of a high standard of complexity. It would be interesting to hear whether solvers who can do The Times crossword, or The Listener, find it useful.

It may be my incorrect expectation, but I was expecting more from this book.
on 22 October 2015
I have used this solver for many years and this is the third edition that I have bought. I was surprised at how much lower the quality of the current edition is compared to the 2003 edition. this edition is much thinner than previous and the paper it is printed on is inferior. All of the lists that were so useful have gone. My previous much thumbed version had fallen apart and I threw it away before this one arrived.....I now regret doing that as I would rather have kept using that, even with the separate pages, than using this edition. very disappointing.
on 13 May 2011
This is an excellent crossword dictionary and as others have stated, looking for a clue often leaves one just browsing amongst all the interesting words and conjoinings.

HOWEVER for serious use you MUST also purchase Bradfords Crossword Solvers Lists.
Comments here stating there are "bits missing" are precisely the bits in the "Lists" book. Irritatingly they are produced in different sizes!

Collins would, in my opinion, be better off publishing them as a matching pair.
Both would then be 5* books.
2 people found this helpful
on 13 January 2015
After 10 years or so my indispensable paperback version of Bradford's is now falling to bits, so I decided to try the Kindle edition and I'm really pleased with it. The kindle search facility just searches the headwords, so you get straight to the correct entry. You can also add notes for future refererence, eg if you want to add into a particular list an additional matching word which you've come across. (On revisiting the page you don't immediately see the word you've entered, but you do see a note marker, and can easily 'click' on it to see the word you entered).
I bought it around Christmas time when it was £2.99 - might be worth keeping an eye out for special offers.
I don't have a Kindle, but I do use the Kindle app on my iPad, and what with Bradford's and the Chambers app now both on it, I feel I'm ready to tackle any crossword!
on 26 July 2010
Saw this on Amazon and purchased on basis of reviews.I have not been disappointed and found it very useful.However it obviously doesn't cover every word you would like, but crosswords are a challenge and a missing word will force you to use other resources which can't be bad! The quality of the hardback is superb and should last a very long time.The various listing of wordsCollins Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary against specific subjects helps to save time when looking for an elusive answer. I can recommend this book for a first timer and those more clever than I!
on 9 January 2014
Bradford's CSD was a present to help my wife with some crossword posers but has also proved a hit with a Year 6 Granddaughter as an source of new words to try out and use
For crossword solvers the lists are very useful as you get only what you require - alternative words. A surprisingly useful feature are the lists e.g. under Snakes 80+ are named, similarly for Hormones and many other items
One person found this helpful
on 21 December 2016
its alright but is not a patch on my old crossword dictionary by Ursula Harrington which is getting a bit tatty now which is why I thought I would get a new one there does not seem half as many words