Customer reviews

Cycling Southern France - Loire to Mediterranean, Updated and Revised 2016
Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on 22 August 2017
So far I have used this book only for the Loire valley and the Dordogne, but I found it very useful as a source of ideas. I can also see other possible trips from having looked at it.
on 30 October 2017
useful book
on 14 September 2010
I recently tried to link three of the long-distance routes in this book together to cycle from Bordeaux to Arles. The first section was great, but the book's assessment of the state of the surfaces was really unreliable! We were supposed to be going along the canal du midi, most of which the book designated 'good quality off-road path' - we got 30 miles outside of toulouse and found the surface deteriorated vastly. For at least 20 miles the path was narrow, rutted, and covered in tree roots, tree stumps, and rocks. My bike is a hybrid and it was ok, althoguh I think for this to have been actively enjoyable you'd need a mountain bike, but my boyfriend has a proper road touring bike and the path was quite impassable for much of the way. We also wasted about an hour just past Sete trying to find a canal path on the Narbonne-Sete canal which was pretty much entirely overgrown and inpassable, and then went back onto that canal path at a later point, on the basis that the book said it was good quality, to find that it was covered in thick salty sea-mud. At this point we gave up on the book entirely and found alternative road routes with the michelin maps.
The book has some good ideas for general itineraries, but if you're on a road bike don't believe what it says about the canal paths being good quality!! And it is not really detailed enough to be your main planning tool on the road.
22 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 March 2008
This really is the Ultimate cycling guide to southern France. Full of detailed colour route maps and colour photos, it is absolutely ideal for planning and riding a cycle route in the sunshine. The book has 160 pages packed with sensible information about routes, towns and places to visit, together with train access, gradings and website links. Planning a route or just day-dreaming? Either way, this is the Guide.
on 31 July 2012
I bought the book while planning a trip to france for the summer with a view to cycling the Midi, Garonne,Loire & Rhone.
I found this book virtually useless.
To say the towpaths on the Midi are of good quality is a bad joke, rutted, tree roots, and cobbles,it makes me think the compiler hasnt done the route himself.
It is easier just to buy the maps when you get to france.
We also found the Dutch have excellent books covering all the routes, including the Rhone,that cannot be found in England.
on 26 December 2013
This has given very good food for thought for a cycle tour of the Carmargue but I have felt that a lot of additional research has been needed to actually plan the route using this book. For a start there is no key to explain what the different route markings mean!! The description of the route is very general. Also, I had to eliminate other tours in the book since once I started planning using the internet, it seemed from others' comments that parts of the route were potentially unrealistic for anything less than a mountain bike. It compares much less favourably to the detailed northern France book which I have also bought which I think could be used to map out and navigate a holiday along the route and which comes with maps and a key.
on 23 February 2009
This book is excellent for deciding on routes and on general advice such as how to book your bike on a train plus items to see in the area. The new feature of this book is that it majors on 'road tired' bikes and routes, with just the occasional nod to off-road details. Has no details on camp sites and very little on accommodation. Reads well and excites the taste buds for touring.
on 31 March 2013
very informative, good route description, inspirational for future tours . However we have already undertaken one cycling holiday because of the book which was cyclng across france on the canals Lateral and Midi. We started at Bordeaux then picked up Canal lateral and followed that onto Canal Mid all the way to Narbonne then to Montpelier to fly home 403 mile!
on 27 February 2015
I had a great holiday using this book as my guide. I took extra information about campsites and was glad I did as they can be sparse on the ground.Clear descriptions, though I would have liked a little more road-mapping either side of the route.Wouldn;t have managed my ride (lasting a month) without this book's inspiration.
on 29 March 2012
This is a good book. We were planning a cycling trip from the Med back to Anglesey and this book was key to our decision making. He describes the routes well, noting interesting little places. The best thing is the use of Michelin mapping, which allows you to transcribe routes onto your own maps.