on 30 March 2011
I genuinely think this one of the funniest and best-written books I've ever read. She makes me laugh out loud, chattering nineteen to the dozen, scattering an amazing vocabulary, constantly switching personalities; presenting a heartfelt teenage poem and then subverting it with a sly wink. I read much of this book whilst convalescing one Sunday afternoon and felt worn out just by the enthusiasm of her wibbling. Her energy is exhausting, and the fact it's all based on diaries makes it feel like a continuous rollercoaster present. An early highlight is her description of herself as part of a gang of "hysterical squealing piglets" following the Beatles (and Paul McCartney in particular), clambering over walls and through bushes to camp out wherever they were staying; plotting grisly imaginary deaths for Jane Asher. And there's an odd naivety or innocence in her description of the early days of the Doors, Zappa, Hendrix, the Burritos; by the time Led Zep come on the scene it's all starting to get a bit darker. People are getting hurt and lost by the way. At this point hers was an utterly pre-feminist ideal of being a nurturing muse and domestic slave for her various boyfriends; at times this almost seems to work, but at many others you want to shake her, tell her `you're wasting your time on this one, love.'
Curiously, her deranged affair with Keith Moon actually comes across as one of the more equal, symbiotic ones. This edition (the book was first published in the 80s) has an epilogue rounding up what has happened to a lot of the characters since, but this begs as many questions as it answers. She says proudly that she remains friends with all her lovers, yet the end result of lengthy and tortuous affair with Jimmy Page appears to be being best friends with Robert Plant. And her statement that she would never touch a married man is directly contradicted by one or two anecdotes earlier in the book. But her enthusiasm and affection for both music and people is genuinely infectious and she's endlessly entertaining. "Boredom is a cop-out! A terrible excuse for not living every second and drinking God's air (now matter how polluted) into your lungs." Amen, sister.
on 13 September 2009
I have to confess that I nearly ditched this book and gave it 1 star. I couldn't gel with Pamela at first and her highschool lovelife started annoying me, although I can see it had its place in the book. I just couldn't wait to get into the really interesting stuff, and believe me it took a while.

At times I felt this book was monotanous and like I was plodding on through it (especially all the GTO stuff), nearing completion though I could really feel Pamela maturing and changing and at the very end of the book when she went to see Robert Plant and asked the question at his press conference (do you still have groupies?) this amused me greatly. She was just a normal girl who got lucky and was truly blessed to have lived and loved as she did.
on 26 September 2012
I bought this book as light entertainment for summer and was expecting something trashy. To my pleasant surprise, it turned out as rather well written, entertaining and even moving. I wanted to add "honest" but obviously the author's point of view is always distorted. Despite the fact that I am not sure Pamela is spitting out nothing but the truth, I found her "memoire" convincing. We get the idea of a young woman very confused about her future, with only one certainty: her love for rock musicians, bordering idolatry. We follow her, while she stuble along, meeting the most interesting people of her time, getting only slightly involved with the "counter-culture" and with heavy drugs, and trying to find her way (and true love) in the most bizarre situations.

Most of all, she struck me as being genuinely looking for love, rather than for easy fame and money, exploiting rock stars. A classic for lovers of rock and those who were too young (or unborn) in the Sixties.
on 29 July 2015
Great read if you are interested in the evolution of youth culture and rock music, also fascinating to consider the role of women from the 60s onwards. I think she was a pioneer of sexual liberation so it is ironic that Amazon have chosen to reposition the flower on the cover so that you can't see her bare breast. Consumerism has sent us all backwards since the 70s, whilst simultaneously commodifying the female body.
on 9 September 2008
I'm with the band was pretty interesting to read especially if you're into music from the late sixties/early seventies because Pamela Des Barres talks a lot about iconic characters that she got to know from that time. Although their are some places where you ask yourself what woman with any self respect would let men use her just like that in order to get 'close' to them, there are certain things about her which you end up liking. She is a caring, sympathetic, realistic, down to earth person. When she realizes that things could get out of control (concerning drinking and drug use) she does something about it rather than wasting away like a lot of others that she knew did. I must add that she is a very talented writer. The only things I got pretty tired of were reading her diary, which I understand was an essential part in penning the book and hearing about the GTOs, whom I've never heard of before reading her memoir.
on 23 July 2016
A naive view of the summer of love and the fallout thereafter. Really just a kiss and tell which name checks the faces of the late sixties and early seventies rock scene. A reasonably easy read for someone who lived through the period without meeting too many of the stars personally.
on 29 January 2014
A legendary book and that's why I wanted it. I have yet to finish it.
It's a bit kiss and tell.
I wanted the links with frank Zappa and the GTOs - they are in the book. It's OK and much of it's time I would say.
The book is in my collection and I suspect I shall dip in and out of it.
Not a great book, but not a bad book either.
on 9 April 2017
It was used and they said in good shape. It was ok but the smell was not good, cigarette smell was to much.
The book it self was good!
on 23 May 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will recommend it to everyone fascinated by the 60's and 70's. It's well written and gives you a very down-to-earth peek into a wild and exiting world of rock and roll when it was all really happening.
An interesting and entertaining memoir!
on 11 March 2014
really enjoyed this book...i skipped her beginnings to get to the juicy bit..the sixties were such a liberating time and she tells it well. I enjoyed reading about her liasons with Jimmy Page and re-read that bit a few times!! It's an iconic book and i'm glad to have it in my collection