on 30 March 2014
Took me to page 90 to get into it, but worth the persserverence as the book then just started to flow with ease. though now in his later years what a great thing it must have been to listen to Sangharakshita h teachings back in the 70s and 80s
on 17 September 2013
I really like the set out and the explanations. I think that is it makes learning about the teachings of the Buddha (Dharma) very accessible. I am really enjoying studying Buddhism.
on 8 April 2017
An excellent product at an excellent price.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 September 2013
I tried to practice meditation and find some info on internet, but so far everything seemed either not working
for me or vague.
This book let me get rid of misconceptions about meditation, and now finally I feel that I can go futher beyond my limits.
on 10 November 2012
As a newcomer to Buddhism I wanted a book that gave me the essential teachings. I have found it a really interesting book which has certainly given me what I was looking for in a digestible format.
on 1 August 2013
This book summarises the main teachings of the Dharma clearly. A must for anyone who wants to deepen their understanding of the Buddha's teachings.
on 13 May 2015
Good
on 7 November 2017
I found this book incredibly difficult to read and just a bit boring -sorry
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 October 2001
This answers the eponymous question with clarity and simplicity, and also serves as an excellent introduction to Bhuddism as a whole. It is written for modern, western readers and all the foreign terms and concepts are explained admirably. Drawing from diferent traditions, especially the Theravada and Mahayana, if you are looking for in depth cultural or philosophical insight into specific areas of Bhuddism this is probably not the book for you. If you want to know about the Dharma in a broad Bhuddist context, and how it relates to you as a westerner, in the 21st Century, right now, then look no further.
on 8 July 2016
The best summary of the Buddha's teachings that I have come across. Sangharakshita writes with such clarity, wisdom and compassion. I reached the end and immediately started all over again!