Customer reviews

Back Garden Seed Saving: Keeping Our Vegetable Heritage Alive
Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 July 2006
I'm a novice gardener, and to save money on seeds wanted to learn more about saving my own. This book is excellent if you don't know where to start, the terminology used is simple, and for the more complex items such as diseases, there is a glossary.

The book covers saving seeds from: beetroot, spinach, beet, chard, broad bean, carrot, celery, celeriac, cucumber, french bean, leafy brassicas, leek, melon, lettuce, onion, parsnip, pea, pepper, chilli, radish, runner bean, spinach, squash (marrows, pumpinks and courgettes), tomato, turnip and swede.

Each bit tells a veg has a small section on growing, and then focuses on selection and saving and drying seeds. Each one also has a couple of heritage vegetables with a description mentioned.

There are a few photos and some drawn graphics. The only thing that would have been nice, is a few more indepth picture, but she explains pretty well.

I would definatly recommend this book, to any seed saver.
on 13 March 2017
A brilliant book. Excellent.
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2009
I was desperate to find a book which could point me in the right direction for saving the seeds of as many of the veggies I grow each year - and this book is it.

I've already begun my mission to save myself a load of money for next year. The test will come when I try to grow my own from these seeds but I remain confident. Sue Strickland tells it how it is in a very straightforward manner. If anything, it can be a little repetitive if you try to read right through the chapters. However, for dipping in on a particular vegetable it is perfect. More importantly, perhaps, she has encouraged me to consider some of the rarer or less well-known varieties, so I suspect any savings I make on the traditional veg will be spent on a few of these rarer types. At least I can save these seeds for the following year.

If only we have a summer next year, of course.
on 30 March 2017
Good
on 26 September 2008
an excellent book for any one intereted in seed saving, written for the UK using information gathered from the heretidge seed library at the henry dobleday reserch ascosiation (HDRA). includes information on growing, rouging, pollination and collection of a wide veriet6y of commonly grown vegetable species, as well as facintaing stories about specific verieties of heritidge vegetable such as ragged jack kale, johns purple carrots and pews special peas.
seed saving is easier than you could have imagined, start small and you may soon find it has becomes an ingaging and addictive hobby.

rosa bianca aubergines, brown soldger beans or gravedigger peas anyone?
on 18 December 2009
Well presented, well laid out, useful guiding tips to maximise success.

A great reference book.
on 15 January 2013
Very informative, & interesting. Will help save money as well as save heritage seeds. And save special plants from seed.
on 16 September 2013
great book lots of useful tips a must for every gardener .helps you save your own seed for the next season
on 14 October 2014
.it arrived on time and in good condition. its a great idea and a great product. good quality and value for money. a good read and all you need to know. and I recommend this product.
on 12 June 2014
Good layout and full of information for those wanting to save their own seed. Also explains the values and philosophy of seed saving .I highly recommend this book.
Ed