Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 February 2007
I wish Stella had published more books. A good range of everyday dinners, quick and easy meals and some fantastic baking - including mincemeat and christmas cake. I've only found one recipe so far we didn't like.

We got the book just after diagnosis and found it very tasty - non diabetic friends enjoy the cakes and meals too without commenting on the reduced sugar and fat etc.
0Comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2000
This book is really good. It offers a wide range of recipes which all the family can eat as well as plenty of good ideas for entertaining. Carbohydrate values are provided for different portion sizes, so its easy to calculate the amount you are eating per meal. Brilliant.
0Comment| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2005
Like Ann Burrows I too have found this an excellent book. It is simple to read, explains Diabetes easily, and the menu's are easy to follow. I fully recommend this book to anyone who has a diabetic problem that will help control their condition.
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2009
found this book to be better than a specific type 2 diabetes book butwhy do all recepies have to be for 4 or more people. why if you are on your own do you have to try and calculate reduced measures
44 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2009
My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes and, although we already have a fairly healthy diet, I hadn't a clue where to begin with regards to what I should and shouldn't be cooking for him. I found the recipes in this book very good and easy to follow. As someone who enjoys cooking it was great to see so many lovely recipes and not lots of boring food, which is what I had expected we would have to start eating!
on 25 January 2009
When my husband was diagnosed with diabetes, I needed a starting point to help guide me with the type of meals I should be cooking. This book has been excellent. I have tried many of the recipes already and they have all been successful, tasty and simple to make. And we do not feel like we are eating 'special' meals. We are eating healthily, and not compromising on taste. A great book for anyone who has been newly diagnosed with diabetes and for their family too. Highly recommended!
on 14 August 2010
It's tough finding out you are a type 2 diabetic. Sadly this book does not help much. In fact I think some fellow sufferers might disagree with much that you will read in this book.
It is questionable as to whether someone with this condition should continue to eat as much pasta, rice, bread and potatoes as they used to. Some but not all of the recipes in this book rely on some of those.
If you wish to explore the effect eating food as suggested in this book then I recommend using a blood glucose tester afterwards. If your level stays within guidelines for the next couple of hours then you are OK. Otherwise you should avoid such a meals or at least reduce the portions. I am no medico but it works for me and many others. A shame that such advice is not included in every book like this one.
Before I started finding out more about diabetes I would not have believed the controversy that exists between reality and accepted practices. May I suggest you investigate on the web to avail yourself of the store of knowledge on the subject such as in forums like diabetesuk[dot]co[dot]uk? Like me you will not regret it.
55 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2011
I bought this book for my Mum when my Dad was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. She has found it a great help. It gives information about being diabetic which put her mind at rest; she has found some great new ideas from this book, not only for my Dad but for the whole family. Each recipe is broken down with the dietary content so each meal can be monitored so you can be sure that they are low in fat and sugar and really nutritional. The book is supported by the British Diabetic Associate so we know that the information is correct. A very helpful book with great new recipes and a welcome addition to the kitchen cook book collection.
on 10 September 2015
So many of the recipes in this book include things like pasta and potatoes. These are known to raise blood sugars. I was hoping the recipes in this book would contain fewer starchy carbohydrates, it looks like it hasn't been changed since its first print in 1995, dietary advice for diabetics has changed a lot since then.
on 14 November 2010
Everyone with Diabetes type 2 must get this book, I have only used it for making the cakes and puddings, which as a diabetic is practically banned. The recipes are very easy to understand the ingredients are all in the cupboard, and every one I have made came out perfect. Low suger, low fat, hightaste.

I know what I am putting in no hidden nasties, almost forget I am diabetic, all the boys at work love my cakes and say I could open a stall in the market selling them they are so good.

Very please with this book.