Price:£19.25+ £3.29 shipping

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 November 2010
MAKE SURE YOU READ THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION BECAUSE THIS IS A GAME THAT IS DESIGNED FOR USE WITH OR BY YOUNG CHILDREN. Children of 10+ may well find it too easy - but as a way of encouraging much younger children to want to explore a mysterious land and to solve interesting and thought-provoking challenges, it is hard to beat.

This is a superb program based on the principle of problem-solving and interesting challenges in a world which has nothing to do with endless shooting or killing. Neither it is dumbed down like so many so-called 'educational' programs.

I used to use an earlier version of Crystal Rainforest with early-years primary pupils and they loved it. The program encouraged lots of meaningful and excited discussions which parents or grandparents can now experience with their own children. Based on my own experience, I think this program works best with children in the 7-9 age range, but 5-6 year olds will also enjoy it with guidance from an adult or older friend.

Many of the puzzles are based on the Logo programming language but don't worry if you are unfamiliar with that - it's structure is built into the heart of the puzzles so that it's those that entertain your imagination.

I recommend hat you ignore the reviewer who awarded just 2 stars on the basis of his own child's boredom --- I can only think that user must have ignored the product description.

------------------------------------------------------

One additional comment ... if you become interested in exploring Logo itself, there are several commercial programs available but the one I used to use in schools in a Logo club is totally free. I could therefore use it in school and also give copies to pupils to use at home. Just search the internet for MSWLogo and you'll find it. It isn't a flashy program, it's pure Logo.
on 20 May 2013
I have used CRv2 in the past and was hoping this was an updated version. Sadly, whilst the principle of the game is great, it takes forever to load and the graphics are, by modern standards, extremely dated. One of the most irritating features is that it is impossible to escape the game without completely logging off, (unless I am missing something obvious). Someone please do an up-to-date version.
on 31 January 2012
I bought this for my 5 and 6 year old boys because I was concerned that the ICT lessons they were getting at school were too focused on teaching them to use Microsoft Office. This game is excellent and they really love it. Best of all they don't realise that they are learning! They understand the concept of turning left and right, have grasped the fact that there are 360 degrees in a circle, and can write simple programs in Logo, including simple loops. Logo as a language is quite basic but very intuitive and rewarding because they see instant results on screen. This is highly recommended if you want your children to be computer literate.
on 24 April 2016
I remember playing the original version on a floppy disk in primary school. With the teachers permission I would spend my break times (even better when it rained) fixated on a game which stimulated learning, problem solving and all around entertainment. Today I see the same joy in the faces of younger ones playing this new version. The graphics have improved for a new generation but the fundamentals of learning, stimulating development from a young change and offering the chance to gain extra computer skills have not and I thank Sherston for ensuring the good legacy continues.
on 12 March 2015
My son thinks it's awesome ...... He loves it .... Was delivers so quick xx
on 15 January 2010
This pc game would be best suited for ages 7-9. My 13 year old daughter found it much too young for her, and became bored within the first few minutes. For younger ones, it would probably be great fun, and the graphics are super.
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

See one answered question