Customer reviews

on 2 November 2001
Nigel Jackson resumes the entirety of Traditional Old Craft in this small but fascinating volume. Covering aspects such as the Witch God and Goddess, links with the Faery folk, the lore of the Toadsmen, Werewolves and Vampyres, initiation and Hallowing, this is an invaluable document for the serious student. No modern, fluffy-bunny Wicca this, but and erudite discourse on the true craft, as practised by the Wise Women and Cunning Men of yore and today. Throw out Silver Ravenwolf and read the real stuff!
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2003
Ok, I'm trying not to be bias here, but as we've been force-fed with books on Wicca for the last half century it's quite refreshing to read about "real Witchcraft". Yes, the author doesn't disclose sources of information but any Traditional/Hereditary practioner worth their grimoire would tell you the book is as accurate ( without breaking oaths ) as it could be.
Read it and make up your mind.
BB
on 16 September 2003
a really informative book for those who are fed up with being force fed wicca - gives a good overview of male energies and mythology - set in a traditional context. highly recommended for those who wish to gain a balanced view of the craft and well written.
on 26 October 2004
Like some other capall bann books the actual physical book can leave something to be desired; paper, binding and typesetting are sub-standard (or at best sub "my" standard). Aside from this, this is a *serious* book with a long native history, not for fluffy-Llewellyn-wicca types. Definitely one of the best (tempted to say actually the best but I have not read them all and do not intend to) whistle-wetters for anyone wanting to discover what witchcraft really was/is/will be. Encounter toadmen, discover the original mother goose, learn what the faery are; unlock the traditions that infuse the mythos and ancestral/imaginal soul of north-western europe. But do not expect the deeper secrets beyond the symbolism to be carved, marked or delineated here, as the author reminds us this is primarily an oral tradition.
I fell in love with this book long before I had even read it, due to all the quotations and references that various other authors had drawn from it. Now, at last reading it first hand, I am not dissapointed. So despite the (in my opinion) poor quality of the presentation and binding, im giving it full marks purely for its content and its value as a starting place.
This is an excellent work on traditional witchcraft being an easy to read overview of the beliefs and practices of those following a path pre-dating Gardener and the revival of the 50s.
Nigel Jackson's own unique artwork is to be found throughout this book which adds to the feel and atmosphere. Jackson is obviously well read in folklore as well as his Craft as there are many fascinating references to the myths and legends of our ancestors. Perhaps the most fascinating aspect of the book for me, though, is the way he deals with the subject of the witches' Sabbat which is both an eye-opener for those who are new to this kind of Craft and a clear sign of true magical knowledge to those with experience.
some 40 years standing. I am always on the lookout for interesting new books on The Craft and this little book certainly fulfills my wishes.
There are some facts in it that I didn't know and which gave me food for thought. Although I work alone this book gives the new Initiate lots of information on the Craft be it Hedgewytchery or Traditional Witchcraft.

Highly recommended.
on 16 January 2014
Perceptions can be deceiving - book it thin but jam packed full of information. I bought this book with several others with the goal of reading more research into the craft - this book is not a Wicca book but if you wish to broaden your knowledge in another path then its a good starting point
on 7 October 2007
Unfortunately, I had to put this book down halfway through. In doing so, I asked my partner to read it for a while and, without prompting, he said the same things as I do. Reading this book makes your head hurt. It's not that the book isn't without merits. It would appear that lots of historical research has gone into the content. The overwhelming problem with it is that it is presented as a collection of disjointed paragraphs. Those who understand academic writing will know what I mean when I bemoan the lack of any linking sentences. The text just exists - there is no seeming aim (save using needlessly excessively attempts at poetic writing) and therefore the presented wealth of historical and mythological data just ends up becoming words for the sake of words. If I was to invent a word to sum this book up - and making up words seems a fair thing to do - I would describe this as "mythtory", a fusion of myth and history which really would only benefit people who... well, I have no idea who it would benefit, to be honest. It was of no use to me.
on 5 August 2014
i found this little book most interesting, i personally wish that i found this book at the early stages of my journey into THE OLD WAYS.also recommend Robin Artisson a bit long winded but be patient it all comes together
on 26 February 2009
A great little book, when it came out all those years ago it was quite a departure from what was being publish under the title witchcraft. Since its publication it has been incredibly influential on other writers on the subject. A book often imitated but rarely equalled.