on 17 April 2014
I bought this and the accompanying CD because I wanted to learn Old English, and there is much to praise in both the book and the CD. You do have to work out for yourself where things are and how they relate between the two, but that isn't onerous, and it is really important to be able to hear as well as see the words and texts. I haven't worked through all the sections yet but felt I needed to make a comment now, on reaching sections 4 and 5, about some discrepancies and confusions. This is when it is important to have an additional source to which to refer, to clarify anything that isn't clear (and occasionally there are things that are not) and to make sure that everything is actually correct. I struggled to understand the old English numbering system, and realised in the end that there are errors that should certainly have been picked up on by the editor, and which can send the student round in circles, trying to grasp the logic, when in fact it is simply an error. This came to light as I attempted the exercises, and found that however closely I followed Pollington's explanation, I could not arrive at the answer he gave for some of them! Once I decided that the explanation itself was in error, I could get on and succeed in the exercises. But I need another source to make sure I have the correct numbers (or grammatical construction - it isn't only one or two numbers that are wrong, unfortunately) and I am currently assessing the available sources to decide on one. So - there are errors that should most certainly have been eliminated at the editing stage, and that is a great shame because it throws doubt on all the rest, which is probably otherwise completely sound. It does illustrate the importance of having more than a single source of information, not only because you need to be sure you have correct information, not corrupted by errors of whatever kind, but also because another writer's approach to explanation can help very much. Getting the same information from two directions, in other words, can be very helpful indeed. I am not sorry I bought this book and CD, but I do realise that one source is not enough.
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 April 2016
Very good book but leans too far toward an academic linguistic approach rather than what I wanted which is to learn how to speak old English conversationally. Learning how to say King and noble is all very well but some of us want to learn the way our ancestors spoke in everyday life. This text allows you to study documents written by priests trained in a stylised form of Old English. This in my opinion does not accurately reflect how the average 'Anglo Saxon' would have spoken. However if you are learning Old English for a University degree this book is probably just up your alley. I wish writers on Old English would follow how a person learns a language organically and try to teach in such a way as Matt Love did.
on 18 September 2016
The problem is always how you actually pronounce the word.
on 2 February 2016
As a complete novice to the subject,I have started with this and the accompanying poems and prose book.
I have a long way to go?
on 26 February 2014
I studied OE at university a long time ago and bought this book to refresh my memory. Unlike my dry old OE primer, this really is easy to follow step-by-step, with short sections, good explanations, exercises to check progress and texts at the end. However, I think the grammatical terms could be difficult for anyone who has not had any experience of language-learning.
on 19 May 2017
Up to expectations but need accompanying cd to understand pronunciation.
on 31 May 2015
A good basic book with many useful exercises suitable for beginners in the language .
on 3 February 2017
Excelent book for a history student.
on 18 December 2014
This publication goes with the New English to Old English Dictionary as I thought it would.
on 7 June 2015
A good introduction to Old English.