on 6 September 2015
I can't rate this book highly enough. Strangely I found it hard to get into when I first started reading it at the beginning of my travels and I put it down. I picked it up again a year later and it (as well as the part 2 book 'Thunder and Sunshine) are now my all time favorite books. It's such a brilliant read about the experience of travelling through different cultures. Inspiring, funny and a very well written book! I've gone on to read all of his books.
on 29 November 2014
One great book couldn't put it down.
Ordered the follow up book part 2
Another great book by Alastair Humphreys
on 19 September 2014
A wonderful book of adventure and life on the road that inspires and makes great journeys seem achievable by all.
on 18 November 2014
I read this book because Al sent me a signed copy when I was in Armenia. I have vivid memories of sitting by a storage heater in a large soviet-style flat in Tbilisi reading this book and being transported to another world via a kindred spirit. Full of vicarious experience and a rich atmosphere carved out through solid writing and commitment to getting every drop out of each landscape, encounter and emotion. Nice one Al!
on 9 July 2014
Truly inspirational. Can't wait to read part 2. Has made me want to do my own cycling adventure sometime soon.
on 19 September 2014
An inspiring read. Don't have you're email open near you whilst reading it you might quite your job.
on 9 May 2014
What a great adventure. Well written and, believe it or not, you can actually write a whole book without one swear word in it; other authors please note. You feel you are with Alastair all the way. To write an interesting account of a journey of that length is something in itself. I am currently reading Part 2 and it is just as good.
on 18 November 2011
Got this book as a gift after I did a small cycle and once I started reading became hooked. Not just with the book but everything he says. Honest, interesting and inspiring. Recommended it to a few friends and they loved it, you will not be disappointed. Check out his website to get a taste - microadventures are awesome. keep it up al
on 8 February 2014
I'm pleased I've read Alastairs book but just wish he had put as much love and enthusiasm into writing about every country he past though as he did the African ones.
I would have like to feel I was riding with him rather than just the a brief glimpse of some of the countries. All I really know is I don't ever want to visit Africa.
on 19 September 2014
Simply fantastic book. Honest, beautiful and inspiring. Could not put it down.