Customer reviews

on 25 September 1999
A reader from Indiana , September 23, 1999 Do Not Hesitate!! Buy & Read This Book! I just finshed reading "Letters From Pemberley". I loved it. All I can say is that this book is the best Pride and Prejudice sequel I have read. I just wish it was longer. I enjoyed reading it so much - I was sad it ended so soon. Ms. Dawkins, the author, is superb. She has alot of talent. This is one Pride & Prejudice fan who is hoping she will do a sequel to the sequel. Well Done!!!
on 30 January 2014
I have read several "sequels" to Pride and prejudice which were truly dreadful, but this is excellent, very much is the Austen style and great fun working out the references to other Austen novels. I have also got the sequel to this, More Letters from Pemberley, and it is also excellent. There is also Death Comes to Pemberley by P D James, which I enjoyed. Joan Aiken also writes sequels to other Austen books and they are acceptable and well written.
on 9 August 2002
I received my copy of the above book yesterday and already I have read it through twice! I could not put it down once I had started. It is an excellent sequel to Pride and Prejudice, and like P & P itself I did not want it to finish.Well done.
on 26 May 2001
If it was the intention of the author to make a seamless addition to "Pride and Prejudice" I think she has fallen very far short of her aim. Whilst I understand that Jane Austen is inimitable,there is very little attempt at the wit or lightness of touch of the original. The feel for life in an early 19th century country house is non-existent and the book has not been well researched historically.
on 8 January 2000
A Sparkling New Year's Surprise! What a pleasant surprise to read Letters from Pemberley. I have been dying for more Jane Austen and especially, Pride and Prejudice. This is a sparkling and wonderful little book, a magnificent way to start off the new millennium. Jane Dawkins, my hat is off to you!
on 23 March 2000
No matter how many times you read this book you can never grow tired of it. Every time I read the book I notice some other little comment that I had never realised was there. An amazing book to read - even after the 20th time! Make sure you read this one. Jane Dawkins WE WANT MORE!
on 21 July 2012
I knew that nothing could be like Austen, but I expected something far better . Never mind what the author states: I didn't liked the use of the language, I didn't like the other character's intrusion and I didn't feel that was Elisabeth's behavior or way of thinking.
on 23 September 1999
magnetic, a delight Both familiar and new, hard to put down indeed, a huge pleasure. It is as welcome as this reader felt on re-entering the world of both Janes, who are closer than mere chronology would suggest.
on 22 June 2009
This book was very enjoyable, I love jane austen's pride and prejudice, This book is a great read and I'd always wanted to know what would of happened to the characters I had grown to love.
on 13 March 2002
I found that Jane Dawkins had done very little other than describe Elizabeths meeting of Mr Darcy's friends, which was remarkably dull. By being written in letter format, there were none of the conversations and set pieces that make P&P the masterpiece it is. Most importantly there is no real description of Mr & Mrs Darcy's relationship, which is a terrible shame. Although I didn't like the story in "Pemberley" by Emma Tennant I found it a more enjoyable read.