Customer reviews

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 August 2010
Searching for something special in a foreign place can be a nightmare. Enter Pia Jane Bijkerk and her wonderful little book. Small enough to carry around, you will not want to be without this guide. Glorious ceramics, clothes, jewellery and unusual objects and more. Clearer photos than the Paris book and intriguing objects should set your heart aflutter and make you want to discover more. Research online or go there in person. Pia opens an Aladdin's cave of desirable things, many of which you would be hard pushed to discover without this book. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 3 July 2010
This book is a really good size for fitting in your bag while you wander the streets of Amsterdam. I found the descriptions of each area of Amsterdam really useful and the shops all look interesting and there's a good diverse range of different boutiques. This is primarily a shopping guide rather than a city guide but the author includes her top places to go in each area. If you are looking for a different wander around Amsterdam, off the tourist trail then this book is a good start. Beautiful photography and nice descriptions of each boutique.
on 9 September 2010
Love the atmospheric photos and evocative text. Initially I was a little disappointed at the size of the book but then realised this made it perfect for taking on your travels. Made me really want to visit the city.
on 1 February 2014
I bought this as I not only love photography but was soon to be off to Amsterdam. Fills both camps and helped me source particular places to see and to get the feel or Amsterdam. Makes a perfect memento too.
on 24 April 2015
delightful coffee table book.. wonderful photography of creative life in Amsterdam - and you get to feel the author. I also have her book Paris made by hand which is equally delightful. -- I also have her book "My heart wanders" That was the first book of Pia's that I read and it drew me in to want more. .
on 28 December 2013
This is a visually intriguing little book which allows you to windowshop from afar. It will intrigue and have value to both those wishing to be inspired by other artists and also those who wish to plan their itinerary while travelling through Amsterdam. I loved having a sneak peak into the worlds of these artisans.
on 24 October 2016
This is a great find. It is such a pity that the author has moved back to Australia. I hope she has the time to write other books on places down under. The shops were a treasure trove of genuine local, hand-made art and crafts.
on 1 March 2013
If you're thinking of visiting Amsterdam, and you're of an artistic bent, then I would recommend this book to you.
Contains beautiful photography and reviews of some of Amsterdam's premiere boutiques and ateliers.
on 11 October 2011
I bought this because I am a passionate crafter who is always looking for bits and pieces to incorporate into my 'makes'. I thought this book would point me in the direction of shops which supply materials (especially since it featured in 'Molly Makes') but it it more a book listing shops which sell ready-made pieces. I am visiting Amsterdam soon and it will be interesting to see how many of the shops are still there, considering how many non-essential shops go under in this country.
on 22 July 2010
If your lucky enough to be visiting Amsterdam anytime soon, or want to do some virtual visiting then make sure you pick up a copy of this Amsterdam Made by Hand. It's a great "alternative" guidebook to the more seedy kinds of "alternative" usually pursued in the city. Not just catering to the its title track of handmade, Pia also has a smattering of upcycled, vintage to keep us lovers of old things happy.

Read my full review on my blog, The Curiosity Workshop.