on 6 April 2009
As a couple with seemingly chronic communication problems, my partner and I were keen to get our hands on anything that would really help us, and in fact, this little book has helped us to an extent. For those not familiar with Non-violent Communication (NVC), it is a technique for dealing with potentially hurtful interpersonal situations in a positive way through awareness of feelings and unmet needs. The book communicates the essence of NVC quite clearly. We were already starting to apply it when only a few pages into the book, with surprisingly positive results. The book includes a sort of reference page at the back, which is useful enough for warring couples to copy, laminate put up in their kitchens.

There are one or two drawbacks with the book, though. First of all, the content did not originally take the form of a book, but of a seminar with Marshall Rosenberg, the founder of the movement. The text is simply a transcription of dialogue. Unfortunately though, Rosenburg often plays several roles simultaneously - himself, a bad-tempered boyfriend, a positive voice in the bad-tempered boyfriend's head - which doesn't make for easy reading, and particularly not for easy reading TO SOMEONE ELSE, which many of the couples who buy this book may have in mind.

Secondly, although the book does make several concessions to NVC newcomers, it still has rather an insider feel, with undefined NVC phrases and concepts mentioned in passing every few pages.

To sum up, NVC is clearly a powerful technique which can really help couples. This book seems to be aimed at couples, and many of the anecdotes relate to couples, but perhaps couples would be better advised to go for Rosenberg's "Non-Violent Communication, A language of Life".
on 16 October 2005
A transcript of roleplays from Marshall Rosenberg's workshops, this book is an excellent insight into Non Violent Communication (NVC). Easy and fun to read, I nevertheless learned some new insights and perspectives that have been useful to me already.
I would happily recommend this book to anyone. My only reservation about is that it's very slim - not a lot of pages for your money. Maybe that's why I've read it 3 times......
on 29 October 2012
This book is a great tool for those who are looking for a more human, loving and enriching way of communicating with people (partner, friends, colleagues, etc). It teaches to think of people's needs and feelings as gifts instead of receiving them with pain, guilt, obligation, etc. I realised how judgemental I was and how this tendency hindered my capacity to truly listen and empathise with the people around me. The book taught me that the first thing to do when we start to get angry or defensive, or we hear an attack or demand, is to recognize that we didn't hear the other person. What breaks us out of these fights is our consciousness. The author calls this "spiritual clarity".
on 3 December 2011
I read this book in a couple of hours. It has that quality to be a book that transforms and goes very deep into your soul. Few books have this capacity. Explores NVC in relationships and for sure reading it can heal many relations. Must read!!!!!!
on 9 May 2015
This is a good book to read after you've read Marshall Rosenberg's 'Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life', in which he explains the principles of nonviolent communication in a clear and ordered way. 'Being Me, Loving You' is a transcript of Rosenberg's lectures and workshops, in which he addresses relationships with partners or close friends, so it provides more examples to flesh out the ideas introduced in 'Nonviolent Communication'. However, I imagine it would only make sense once you've read his original book on the subject, and understand the principles of nonviolent communication.
on 5 January 2013
Like the author and this book is as good as you would expect from him. Easy to read and concise.
on 28 April 2015