Customer reviews

on 12 December 2017
quality mind food
on 14 May 2017
I am finding Thich Nhat Hanh's writing life-changing, and this is part of his wonderful collection.
on 20 February 2017
awesome book! i learned a lot about the Sutra. also, the writing of Thich Nhat Hanh is really good.
on 14 June 2015
A real pleasure to read this
on 17 March 2016
The service and book is very good thanks !
on 11 January 2013
This book is very learned and shows that the author is a as well as .very simple books can write a very deep and detailed commentary on the sutra.HE explores three transmissions of the sutra and compares the likelihood of which are more likely to be an accurate transmission of what the buddha taught.THe book needs to be read slowly and practised bit by bit.I have found it very helpful to use alongside my daily practice.I expect to be still reading it in 5 or 10 years time....
on 10 January 2002
I original read this book because of my interest in meditation and I think Thich Nhat Hanh has a very simple and beautiful approach to meditation.
The book is not only an inspiring work on a practical level but it also makes an ancient text 'The Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness' accessable to the modern mind and is a practical guide to these wise words.
The book first prints the Sutra and a short history and summary of the Sutra; the rest of this quite substantial book consists of a Commentary on the Sutra. This is broken down into four main parts and each section has meditation exercises and or visualisations which ground these ancients words of wisdom. It is like a manual each part can be contemplated and realised.
Some of the body visualisations have always been a source of fascination to me. Having heard about those strange eastern practices where monks or holy men hang around the charnel ground contemplating the dead body I was interested in Thich's interpretation of this and was able to understand why they behaved in this alien way.
However this is only a small part of the book.
Another helpful part of the book was getting to grips with the differences between body, feelings, mind and mind objects. Thus the book invites a curiousity about subtle sensations which can help me focus more on the present moment and free me from distracting thoughts and worrying about more mundane issues.
I feel great gratitude to this sunny and loving man and I find this particular book to be his best although it is not his most accessble or his most simple book. It has allowed me insight to rather dry scriptures and has deepened my meditation practice.
0Comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse