Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 May 2011
This book looks like it will do what I want it to do, which is teach me how to go beyond the minor pentatonic scale in approaching playing the blues on this instrument. However, it is not a book for the self-taught, or beginners. Many other fiddle books use fiddle tablature, this book only contains standard music notation. It also starts from the assumption that you are probably familiar with all standard keys. This, to me, is a strange assumption, since many fiddle players, myself included, seldom venture out of the home keys you can play in first position.

It might be too much to have expected the author to start off by concentrating on blues in those keys us amateur fiddlers are familiar with. However, authors of Tutor books have to make a decision about the level they are expecting readers of their work to have. This book appears to be aimed at competent fiddle players who are totally familiar with their instrument and who wish to explore a particular genre.

I still think this book will teach me all I need to know, but I recognise I'm going to have to do a hell of a lot of work to get there. Back to those scale practices in every key!