on 14 September 2012
I think the two bad reviews of this book have completely missed the point of it. Of course it's outdated if you're looking for a guide on modern programming practices, but that's not what the book's about. This book is a great introduction to 3D programming principals, and I'd highly recommend it to keen, young programmers who want to understand a bit more about how polygon rasterisation works.

This book introduced me to 3D graphics, and because of it I have a much better understanding of graphics and optimisation in general. It helps that I went through it back in the days that DOS was still being used (just), but I don't think that's a limiting factor. It explains concepts like matrix transformations, projection and clipping very well, and even goes a small amount into ray-casting. Every graphics programmer worth their salt should be able to write a basic 3D engine from first principals, and this book will get you there.
on 24 February 2000
I picked this book up at a computer fair so I fortunately paid only a small sum for it! I would seriously not recommend this book to anybody - even beginners! If you are intent on learning how to create a 'flight simulator' then aim your sights elsewhere. This book is poorly written and unimaginative.
It is obvious that the author is using somebody elses work to his benefit. This other person (can't remember the name) wrote a very basic flight simulator and the author has written an aweful lot of rubbish around it.
You would be better off spending your money on a more recent book that is full of useful information!
on 5 August 2004
A friend gave me this book so I paid nothing for it, and fortunately because the content is very old.
I read it in 2004 and it was written in 1993, DOS is not used anymore. I don't recomend it to beginners because it's a waste of time.
I learned a lot from the book because I knew nothing about the subject but I had to adapt everything to make the programs run in Linux.
Today almost everyone uses at least 640x480 and the book uses the old MCGA 320x200.
I don't like the code style used by the author either.
If you want to learn how to program 3D games, learn OpenGL and game programming from an updated book.