on 8 June 1999
I visit family in St. Croix (US Virgin Islands) yearly, and I have looked at a number of books in order to learn the names of the numerous fish I see when I'm snorkeling or diving. This one makes identification easy, with beautiful pictures and the all-important "Distinctive Features" sections, which give you tips on how to distinguish one fish from the next. Make no mistake: this book is the easiest to use and the most comprehensive one I've seen. I'm online to buy the other two books (Reef Coral and Reef Creatures).
on 24 November 2002
Really easy to use and very helpful identification tips. All the other divers "borrowed" this book extensively. The pictures are very clear. I especially liked the fish sightings record at the back of the book.
I used this in conjunction with the snorkelling guide to marine life, Florida, Bahamas, Carribbean ( by the same authors). I took the smaller snorkelling guide on the boat and then referred to the more detailed guide back at the hotel
on 25 May 1999
As a SCUBA INSTRUCTOR this book is the best I've seen for fish identification. It gives many pointers on how to distinguish between fish. If your looking for a book to take on a trip make no mistake this is your best choice.
on 2 December 1998
I've never found an identifcation book of Caribbean fish that can hold a match to this book. If there's a better book, I would love to know about it. I highly recommend this book to any diver travelling to the Caribbean.
on 22 April 2017
fast - good value, great!
on 8 February 2001
I am owning a lot of books about tropical fishes,but no one is as beautifull and usefull as this one. It is almost too good to have five stars!It contains almost 7,00 photograhs and 494 species,of which about 350 are pictured,the remaining ones are similar to the pictured and are only given a description. Many of the species here I have not found in any other book. And if you buy this book,you will be like you`ve taken a drug - your life will be the fishes. Fishes are my great passion in the life and this book is a must-have for any diver,aquarist,fish lover,or biologist. The only thing which isn`t perfect is that there stands nothing about the behaviour of the fishes - but instead they have made a separate book for that (Reef Fish Behaviour). Overall,I am a great lover of marine life,and especially caribbean reef fishes. When I first received it for christmas,I was so happy that I cannot describe it. Now I own the entire trilogy and they are very enjoyable to read and look at over and over again.
on 22 February 2010
This is a very complete book with very good pictures and information. It has distribution and f its common or not to see it in certain areas. It even covers sea turtles and endemic fish only found in the Brasilizn coast.
If you are a diver in the caribbean, South US, Mexico, Central America and Northern South America this book will cover all the fish you will ever encounter in all these places.
on 29 October 1998
This is the first book I purchased after getting certified (I now have the whole series...Fish ID, Coral ID, Creature ID!). Enables you not only to identify the fish you see, but to find the ones that camoflauge themselves! Also very informative regarding fish behavior and filled with excellent photos. Highly recommend!!
on 31 January 2007
In a class of its own, with excellent photographs of a huge range of species. A book like this adds a whole new dimension to a Caribbean holiday. Snorkellers should be aware that the frequency of sightings of many species will be very different from that reported by scuba divers.
on 10 October 1997
The book is very good when you are interested in the fishes you see during diving in the Carribean. Use the 'How to use this book'chapter first to fully utilize the possiblities of the book, otherwise the beautiful yellow fish remains the beautiful yellow fish. It is a pitty you can not take it with you underwater.