Customer reviews

The A-z of Judo (Special interest)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 March 2017
Good book
on 27 May 2016
If you are serious about Judo this is a great book to help you on the journey. I have just used it to assist me in my Technical Dan Grading. It would be good to get together with other to bring this book right up to date.
on 2 October 2015
comprehensive book.
I bought this book recently and found it brilliant. I found useful pictures and information in this book that I haven't yet seen elsewhere. I found techniques both old and new (to me at least)and some favourites. Photos are great, very clear. The book includes several illegal techniques which are at the least interesting. I heartily recommend this book.
on 27 January 2003
this book written by Sid Hoare an Olympic Judo player who trains in London is a very usefull book if your working your way up the grading system as you can find explanations of all the moves and tecniques which are stated in your judo license that you will require to move up to the next grade. this book has helped me a lot, I think it is Excellent.
on 15 December 2003
If you ever wanted to know every technique there is, then this is the book for you. However, if you want to talk philosophy or history of judo then go elsewhere.
I just wanted to expand the arsenal of moves, and success!!
on 28 May 1999
I liked this book a lot, even though the majority of techniques are only honoured with a single picture (a few get up to three), the written descriptions are so well written that I didn't have any problems. Every picture seems to be the "right" picture.
I foolishly permitted my girlfriend to get a hold of the book, and was consequently stunned by the improvements in her groundwork skills, taking advantage of my mistakes in a way that she did not know how to before, and attempting (and sometimes getting) techniques that she had not known but days before. This, was without even practicing, just reading. That is how good the descriptions are - pr maybe how good "she" is.
The book is divided into sections of throws, holds, strangles/chokes, leg-locks, spine and neck-locks, and arm-locks and includes "official" though banned techniques also. Each one of equally high quality. The Japanese names are given for all techniques (with additional namings in situations of multiple-names) alongside english translations. The accuracy and effort that has gone into the book seems high (though I'm no pro uidoka). Syd himself points out that he has only shown the official Judo techniques named My 10th Dan Japanese. This means that some other great techniques are not there. I did not consider this to be a problem, though, as what was there was good.
We have not yet attempted the throws in the books, but I do not forsee any problems. The groundwork, though, was marvellous
on 29 April 2006
This book contains every technique in judo. The author has done extensive research to catalogue every named judo techniques that exists. The pictures are good quality and easy to follow and the explanations are clear. The fact that the author has included techniques not allowed in competitions is a real treat. This book is a gem, and the most complete manual of judo that i have ever seen. A book oozing quality, such as this one for this rice is an absolute bargain.
on 17 September 2003
Not much needs to be said of this very insightful book - it is not bogged down with multiple chapters on the history of Judo or the philosophy behind it - just good discussion and good application of technique. Judo is one the most easily accessible martial arts, but is I believe very misunderstood in terms of the completness of what it offers. Sid Hoare offers a very succinct very complete list of throws and holds and also includes the forgotten dangerous elements. "A-Z of Judo" to be corny, it does what it says on the tin!!! There is only one problem I can find with the book and that is the photos - I really wish they had had one person in a white gi and one person in a black gi rather than both the same: on occasions it gets difficult to see "whats going on", but that is a very small gripe.
on 4 April 2000
This is a valuable book for anybody learning, or teaching, Ju-Jitsu as well as Judo. I use this as a main reference tool for my Martial Arts club instructors and students.