on 24 January 2010
The Victorians loved to try and answer every question anyone could possibly devise. They went to great lengths to publish these answers and some school textbooks of the time were similarly laid out. This book gives a delightful slant on the way that Victorians viewed the world. Now that travel is much more extensive and science has advanced, some of the things contained here make you wonder how on earth anyone could have throught like that. But, remember, then the British Empire was vast and the English way was always the correct way.
on 18 August 2010
I brought this book for my Grandmother as she had given me a much older copy of this book when i was a little girl. My Grandmother was completely over the moon with this copy, not only did it have everything in it but even the font that the book was printend in was exactly the same as the older copy i have. What a wonderful book, not only for some good old fashioned advice but also a competely interesting read. Everyone should have a copy of Equire Within!!!
on 19 July 2006
After purchasing this book, i was doubtful that it would provide sufficient information for my studies of Victorian Lifestyle and Culture - but after reading it, it proved to be a very valuable reference book.

The book is set out like a dictionary, rather than a novel - which, when you are studying, you do not always have time to read a whole book, it is very inciteful, to the point and useful to dip into when you need something in particular.

It teaches you everything you need to know about Victorian Healthcare & ailments, Food & Drink, Games, Costume and much more, Life was very tough for the victorians but this book provides valuable insight into their lives and you can compare how much things have changed in the last 100 years. If you want to find out how your ancestor's survived the Victorian hardships, then i highly recommend you buy this book.

This book gets my full 5 ***** rating.
on 13 February 2011
My mum and dad actually have an original copy of this that my sisters and I used to love reading when we were younger. contains answers to pretty much anything you can think of.
on 2 December 2013
I didn't realize that I could get stains out of items I thought ruined! The Victorian age must have been quite the time to live in!
on 3 March 2016
This is one of those books you can dip into anytime and be fascinated within minutes. The contents are divided into about three dozen sections and it has an index at the back too. So if you want to follow up a specific area of enquiry (such as gardening, "the rules of conduct", cleaning and stain removal, household carpentry, games, or funeral arrangement) you can. But serendipity is probably even more fun. I opened pages at random for this review and discovered how to preserve a cucumber, how to model a living person's face, how to cook porridge for children, how to understand Cockney speakers, how much I should pay all my servants, how a businessman should conduct himself, and how I can remove my freckles. Some of items are still really useful and others are hilarious. All of them are interesting. The book is neat and quite small and it would be perfect for a bedside table (or a loo!) But it would probably be a shame to hide it away like that. A very good gift as well.
on 15 July 2013
A friend who had a copy some years ago suggested it to me. Glad i bought my own copy. Very interesting.
on 16 January 2015
Tim Berners-Lee apparently named his precursor of the World Wide Web, ENQUIRE, after this work in 1980. He said that its title was suggestive of magic and the book served as a portal to a world of information. He thought it not a perfect analogy for the Web, but a primitive starting point
on 10 September 2014
Bought for my father in law who loves this book.
on 16 November 2014
I devoured this gem of a book.