Customer reviews

on 4 January 2012
The book obviously has some history - it's one of the supposed classics of the 'lesfic' genre. I can honestly say I understand why, though given more recent books and newer authors it does tend to seem a tad dated and reserved.

Having said that, it's really not as dated as I was expecting. I was prepared for a certain amount of cheese, but the book didn't make me cringe or feel as if I was in a time warp. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The dialogue didn't seem quite as dated as I thought it would either, even though you're always pretty aware of the age of the book.

It's a simple love story (maybe a bit too simplistic, which is why I didn't give it the full 5 stars) with likeable characters, and I enjoyed reading about them falling in love. I also enjoyed the sensuality of the book. It's not as 'hot' or steamy as newer books in the genre, but it was touching and erotic without giving full on anatomy lessons.

I'll certainly be reading this one again. It gets a definite 4 1/2 stars.
on 15 December 2015
Have just discovered this author and based on this book I am now download as many more as I can. Beautifully written with two main characters I am now in lust with. This story of a group of diverse women taking a break in a cabin owned by one of them (fruits of a painful divorce) their very interesting interaction and the beginning of a relationship under their noses. Two supposedly straight women finding out label s don't matter !!!!!
on 14 June 2004
Absolutly an amazing, passionate and very sexy story, this has to go onto the silver screen. I started reading at 8.30pm and could not put it down until i read the last page at 12.07am.
Possibly one of the best lesbian books i have read (and i have read quite a few of late) in a long time, bring on the sequel.
on 29 May 2001
Two wonderful women who meet and soon discover strong feelings for each other. It is written with a lot of knowlege and love, showing the difficulties of two women who above all had relationships with men before and make out that there is something more fulfilling. You will love the two main characters and won't be able to put the book away.
on 30 January 2004
Curious Wine is (or soon will be) classed as a classic. The book is so rich and vibrant with its descriptions that you are sucked into the story and absolutely cannot put it down. It actually feels like you are there at the cabin with the women, smelling the wood of the walls, hearing the crackle of the fire and the chatter of the women sitting around it and seeing the beauty of the night sky through the upstairs window.
I would LOVE also to see this book made into a film, but carefully and tastefully so as not to ruin the impact the book has on your imagination.
on 8 October 2004
Great book... Everything a good read needs... love, sex, dilemma's and argie bargies!!! Nothing to complex and very light hearted... but at the same time impossible to put down... I'd defo recommend this book to anyone... Such a brilliant feel good book... where's the next!!!
on 4 September 2003
I have two bad things to say about this book,(1) why is this not a lesbain film? (2)The introduction of all the Characters is all a little quick, in the sense they are all introduced at the same time which means you really have to pay attention in order to get your head around them all... but having said that it does become clear throughtout the book who is who; so its not a big deal and nothing to worry about!
This book i couldnt put down it keeps you on the edge of your seat and asking yourself well what happens next?? i just couldnt read it quick enough! LOL. Fantastic book, i would really love to see this book in a film - but having said that sometimes films do wreck books... But somehow i doubt it with this one.. i adore all the Characters, Liz, Diana, Chris, Viv, Lane, Millie, Madge. This book could also have a follow up! Hint hint nudge nudge!
To sum this all off, GRAND BOOK i seriously recommend it!
on 3 January 2001
I read this book in 5 hours. The book is about a first time relationship between Lane and Diana who meet at an all girl ski trip in a remote cabin. The evolving friendship and subsequent relationship is well narrated, providing the right amount of balance between subtle eroticism and developing feelings between the two women.
on 8 July 2008
If you are into lesbian romance and a good story, this is a great read. If you want a casual trashy lesbian sex book this is not the book for that. There are plenty of other good reads for that.. This is about old fashioned love, romance and sensual love making. I loved it and it is a favorite re read.
on 23 January 2005
I bought this book based on the great reviews and was disappointed. It's not a bad book, but it's not great either. If I had read it when it was first published I'm sure I would have felt differently but there are so many lesbian themed book out there now that are as good or better. I found much of the conversation in the book pretty dated, but maybe that's just because I wasn't around at the time so I don't appreciate it.
The main thing about this book is that I didn't think it was very well written. The characters have little depth, I found the dialogue unconvincing and the plot's not very interesting.
On the plus side the main characters are likeable and there was enough in it to make me want to finish it.
Bottom line... if you're looking for some (very) light reading and a mildly erotic lesbian romance, read this book. If you want something more, keep looking.