Customer reviews

Doodlebugs and Rockets: Battle of the Flying Bombs

on 7 September 2017
Numerous books have been published on this subject over the years but this one strikes a good balance between text and photographs, together with anecdotes from those who were involved in various ways, be they civilian or military. My family was affected by the Grove Road V1 incident of June 1944 and it is nice, if that is the right word, to see this incident (and others) described in rather better detail than is typically found elsewhere. Personal choice of course, but I would suggest this book is read in conjunction with one detailing the work of RAF Medmenham such as Taylor Downing's 'Spies in the Sky' if you are unfamiliar with the background to Hitler's V weapons programme.
on 1 July 2001
From the moment I started reading this book, I could not put it down. The standard of research that has gone in the book is excellent, as are the numerous photographs of the bombed, defensive and launch sites. If you are interetsed in books about WW2, then buy this book. (I have read enough books about WW2 to know a good book when I read one, and this is one.) Possibly of special interest are the maps showing where every missile that made land, finally fell - Did one land near you live? If there is one aspect to the book that appears initially 'poor', it's the cover; don't let that put you off, it is well worth reading.
on 9 October 2010
This easy-to-read, well-written book details the story of the flying bombs, V1 and V2, that were used to attack Britain in the closing years of World War II. It contains a wealth of photos, maps and diagrams, together with personal accounts and stories by those who lived through the attacks. This is a book that will bring back memories of those dark days and will help to recreate the atmosphere of life as it was then. Bob Ogley is a well-respected author, and speaking as one who lived through the days of the 'Doodlebugs', I can categorically say he has treated this subject with all the respect it deserves. He pays a fitting tribute to all those who took part -- the Royal Observer Corps, the Civil Defence, the fire and ambulance services, the ATS, the WVS and the gallant RAF pilots who had to devise their own methods of attack to bring down the Doodlebugs. Reading this book will take older readers right back to 1944.
on 23 June 2012
I wanted to have a book that desribed accurately how many flying bombs and rockets fell in this country and what devastation they caused. This book mostly satisfied my curiosity with many photographs which show clearly the frightful damage which these weapons inflicted in many parts of this country. There is a curious omission, however, as although charts and diagrams cover Croydon, London, Kent, Essex and Sussex there no such information about Surrey. Curious and annoying for me as my family, living near Epsom, suffered a near miss from one of the first flying bombs to land in England
on 31 July 2012
Yes, I was there and we did call these deadly weapons 'Doodlebugs.' We could cope with these, they made a familiar noise and you knew when they were coming. But the rockets, they never got a familiar name; they were much more deadly and hit with no warning at all. This book gives a detailed and accurate account of the attacks which, if the invasion forces had not been able to put the launching pads out of action, may well have beaten the British population into submission.
on 27 June 2014
This was part of my husbands christmas present. It was like watching a child open his christmas present with the same enthusiasm when he knew what it was. My husband seems to be collecting things he had taken away from him as a child, but to me it is great to see him light up when he gets another aquisition. Highly recomment this seller.
on 5 January 2016
A real insight into the vengeance weapons that Hitler launched against Britain . I had no idea that more than 9,000 missiles had been fired at SE England, or that there were air launched variants, or even a suicide piloted prototype! These were in effect Cruise missiles 70 years before they were so called. A thoroughly researched piece of work, which can become something of a list of incidents, but worth reading for all that. If you want to learn more about the V weapons, then you should read this book.
on 12 September 2010
I purchased this book following a conversation with my Father. I found it an excellent read and could easily relate to the various sites mentioned throughout the book.If like me you are not the age to remember these times then buy this book or if you did live through this dark time in our history I would once again buy this book to relive those times.
on 5 August 2010
a real reminder of the early 40s when the menace of hitler was upon this country, an in depth look at the weapons being used against us and how as a nation we fought back, features a map detailing every doodlebug that landed in the uk, facsinating read.
on 23 June 2013
Bought this book after seeing it at a friend's house. My Mum looked at it and discovered a relative in it. So, apart from it being such an interesting book, it also has a family connection.