Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 November 2001
After the dramatic switch from Letterland to Jolly Phonics at my daughter's school, dramatic for me not at all for my daughter, I cannot do anything else than praise this way of learning. It not only gives you the sound of each letter e.g. 's' but a picture like the snake with the sound ssss and an action aswell. There is nothing that Jolly Phonics has missed out it covers all aspects of the way a child learns, either by sound, picture or action. My daughter within 2 weeks can now tell me the first letter of nearly all words that we ask her and she is also able to spell a three letter word by sounding it out. I can only praise Jolly Phonics I cannot find a fault with it. My Daughter Bethany is only just 4 years old D.o.B 11/08/97 and I have found it amazing the difference that Jolly Phonics has made compared to Letterland. I'm not saying that Letterland is useless, I'm just saying that Jolly Phonics has a faster learning rate in my opinion.
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2015
Great little book, I didn't realise though that it was just for the letters s,a,t,i,p,n, I just didn't get it despite it having those letter below the title, I don't think it's that clear and I checked the listing and reviews to try and figure out if it was for the whole alphabet, but at this low price I am happy to buy more...
on 22 March 2013
My daughter is currently learning the alphabet at nursery and they are using the jolly phonics method. So I was thrilled to learn I could buy the books for her to learn at home as well. She loves that each letter has its own song
on 28 November 2011
Bought for my 3 yr old who has just started school. He is doing Jolly Phonics at school and it is really useful to now know what he is talking about. He kept asking me what the actions were for the phonics and now I know so can support his learning. Will definately be buying the other books in the series so I can keep up with what he is doing at school.
on 11 February 2015
I have tried a few times to get my son interested in identifying letters but this is the first time it has worked. He is 4 and is starting school next year so want to give him a head start. I got the jolly phonics frieze as well. We have only just completed the first strip.
The workbook is good to practice writing the letters. I don't get him to do a whole page in the workbook. It is divided into the different letters so I might get him to practise a row of a's and a row of t's in one sitting along with a bit of colouring in.
There are some good resources on you tube as well which have some of the jolly phonics rhymes etc.
I also cut out pieces of paper and write the letters on them, then get him to say the sounds. This is a good idea as initially he was saying the sound only if he could see the picture with the letter (e.g. snake with the s)
on 25 August 2013
This book was recommended by the teaching staff at my daughters nursery! I've learnt some great tips of how to teach my daughter the basics for reading and writing! Highly recommended!
on 9 September 2013
Although thbis is the first book in the series it actually completes our coolection. My grandaugdeter loves these books, copying the
letters and atgtempting to read the words
on 16 December 2013
My daughter is almost 4 & in preschool. I really wanted to find a way of helping her learn the alphabet & to read without confusing or compromising what her teachers were showing her at preschool. This is perfect as the SATPIN method is what they use in school (my sister is a primary school teacher & she thought it was brill)..
We have done one Sound a week and my daughter can now point out S everywhere on posters on letters in books even in TESCO on the building, and the same with A
on 7 October 2015
Recommended by nursery teacher and glad I bought it as it lets me as a parent understand what they are learning as well as making learning fun for children at home to
on 4 December 2013
Brilliant book all round!! My little girl loved this, especially with the cd I bought separate.
Would definitely recommend to anyone!!