Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Zara Larsson Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 13 May 2009
I came to this book after watching Adam Graham-Brown's spellbinding and beautifully filmed documentary on Satish Kumar; Earth Pilgrim, A Year on Dartmoor. Desiring to know more about the subject, I soon learned about the story of the ''Peace Walk'' undertaken by Kumar and was intrigued by the idea of walking across continents without any means of support, for whatever the cause it might be. Surely an astounding story is there to be read. In this I was sadly disappointed, both in the detail and the omissions. It was far too brief, whole countries rushed past in short paragraphs, and poor old Belgium didn't even get its own sentence. It gave a sense of a reluctance to tell this part of his story - or forgetfulness, perhaps; it was a while ago.

What came before the walk, his childhood in India, life with the Jains, and following Ghandiism, was fascinating and interesting. However, after the walk the story develops into a mixed bag of banal living in the west: business endeavours, house-hunting, family-raising, schooling, seasoned by a slightly incongruous, though thankfully brief, spell of adulterous sex-farce. Honesty all well and good but this was putting me off somewhat. Still, I persevered.

I'm glad I did. The pearl in this book is the longer account of his pilgrimage to Iona to mark his fiftieth. Taking in the length and breadth of Britain, he does this in the spirit of his earlier walk: on foot, mostly, and relying entirely on the goodwill of his friends and his magazine readership. It is brilliantly described and, unlike the earlier walk, I sensed he wanted to tell this story in full. I also felt I learned more about the man in this chapter than in the rest of the book. At the end of the second walk he mentions undertaking two further pilgrimages though gives us nothing about them. This is a shame as I feel, if these had been told as half as well as Iona, the three together would have made an excellent book on their own.

The book ends with an interesting and enlightening interpretation of Ghandi's tenets which Kumar follows and would like others to appreciate. This is the ''life changing'' bit they warn you about, I expect, and what better place to finish (although having said that, this could be a book I'd selectively revisit).
on 11 August 2003
'No Destination' has left more of a lasting impression on me than any other book I have read for years. Satish Kumar draws an incredibly vivid, beautiful and uplifting picture of his life, and life going on around him, often describing a fascinating and alien culture, but celebrating the universality of the human spirit. It is a song for peace and the story of an incredible man.
on 8 April 2002
Starting with his birth and ending in 1991, 'No Destination' is the autobiography of Satish Kumar, the campaigner reknowned for his epic pilgrimages in the name of peace. The book details his journeys and his life between these walks. It examines the influences on his life, from becoming a monk at 9 years old, to setting up a college to promote ecology and spirituality. At 287 pages long it is not always an easy read, at times the journeys feel like a list of place names, and at other times his life seems very distant from our western daily routines. Though, this is a book which can be picked up and put down at your leisure and should therefore, with slower reading, give clearer indications as to why Satish Kumar undertakes these challenges and also why he makes life decisions that are perhaps alien to some of us. His life is indeed extraordinary and for readers who enjoy journeys of self-exploration, this book must be at the top of reading lists.
on 8 February 2009
The whole world should read this book.It is written in such a beautifully simple way, a complete joy to read. Thank you Satish,the world needs more people like you.
on 14 November 2013
I bought this because I am doing a theatre project about unfinished journeys and pilgrimages. I know of Satish Kumar through the small school and resurgence, I know he is a very interesting man and also seems to be (to use a slightly out of fashion word) wise, so when someone suggested I read his autobiography it seemed sensible.

Only problem is, I don't really enjoy autobiographies, but since this seems more like a novel, I am loving it. Full of interesting insight into religion, India, society, peace, but all through the story of his life, so it is not at all preachy. Excellent read for research and for enjoyment.
on 26 November 2013
Satish Kumar is one of my heroes. The way he lives and writes inspire all the time. He is a wise man and more people should read his books. I thoroughly recommend all his books, they are well worth reading.
on 3 July 2013
This man is wonderful and his life an amazing journey. To walk the earth in the name of peace and nothing else shows his love for Mother Earth and all things on and in it
on 7 December 2012
When the guru of Satish blessed his journey but told him to travel without money, the journey changed from being ordinary to
being extraordinary.
on 4 August 2013
What I have read so far is very interesting recommended by our yoga teacher who found it compulsive reading, I will continue
on 21 February 2013
Interesting, if not a little tedious at times. Accounts his pilgrimages across the world and around Britain. Give it a go.