Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 February 2008
What an ace book. A history which covers the site before it became the ace, through the greasy spoon truck-stop years to the motorcycle hang-out heyday of the sixties. Further chapters follow with the reopening of the Ace, which as we know has gone from strength to strength. As a South London greaser, we never got to the Ace, as North and South London bikers rarely mixed. The book is evocative of the whole era, with honourable mentions to the busy bee and the dugout as well. If you are nto biker history or just old bikes it is well worth a read. Brilliant.
on 18 July 2009
I love these sorts of books that show the then and now history of things past, the Ace Cafe book is no exception, my dad used to go in there everyday on the way home from work when he worked in Harlesden, no doubt, the 50's was the golden era of the Ace for you motorcycle enthusiasts, thankfully the Ace has been saved and restored to something like the original 50's ACE, so read this great book, lots of great incidental info in here!
on 9 October 2010
The format is images from the heyday of The Ace Cafe, compared with photographs of the same locations today. This enabled me to visit the North Circular Road locations and see exactly where it all happened.
The book also has press cuttings from the period, and stories from surviving bikers of their exploits. The story is completed by the history of the re-opening of the cafe.
This is an excellent book, and although I was only a child at the time of the cafe racer craze, it seems to conjure up the spirit of the time in pictures and words.
Thoroughly recommended reading for fans of british motorbikes and 20th century cultural history alike.
on 14 February 2014
Sadly this book was a big let down.
Having purchased "ACE TIMES" the sister book which is absolutely spot on, this volume nothing near it.
If choosing one, go for the pricier ACE TIMES, captures the era perfectly with great images stories and quality.
on 20 February 2016
Great book. Full of social history, some lively personal stories, terrific photographs, views from all angles including the Police and, of course, bikers going hell for leather up the North Circular.
on 13 February 2011
Absolutely Ace! All the more poignant for me as I lived close to the "Ace" back in the '60s, didn't own a motorcycle then (I was a Mod!) but I can remember having to wind my Vespa GS up to max.. 50mph? as I approached the Ace so as to avoid the saucers that were "frisbied" in my direction! Good read for those who can remember the '60s.
on 5 August 2011
The Ace Cafe Then and Now is a great little book, with a lot of period black & white pictures too.

Service was really good as I received the book in a fairly short time after ordering.

I would definitely order from this outlet again.
on 24 November 2013
What an absolutely fantastic book this is. Jam packed with articles & interviews, this is the most thorough book I've found so far on the cafe racer & Rocker scene. If you're just getting into cafe racers like me, and want to buy a book that will absolutely inspire you, this is it.
The interview and photo tour with Noddy from the Ace is worth the RRP alone. Highly recommended!
on 16 November 2013
if like me you you are into bikes this is a place of great intrest the owner has done well to bring it back to life after all the years this book is first class I do have other books on the ace but this is by far the best got my copy at the acecafe were I have been quite a few times a must have place to visit spot on book
on 19 December 2012
I bought this for my boyfriend for Xmas and it has been a 100% hit! He has hardly put it down & I just admit even I have found some of it interesting. Some great pictures in there also! Excellent book, would recommend!