Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 February 2012
Robbie McEwen's "One Way Road" is a truly engaging read throughout. I like that it's so honestly in Robbie McEwen's own very Australian voice - to the point where readers from other countries might have welcomed a "glossary of terms". I also like that his writing is so detailed that at times I felt not only the intense adrenaline rush of watching the Tour - but also had to flinch and look away from the sections where he's telling us about the crashes and injuries. This is a privileged view of what makes a professional cyclist tick, and particularly allows us to glimpse the psyche of someone who is balancing a fierce determination to win, against the reality that there's a limited window of opportunity in which to do so. Robbie knows his talents, strengths and limits - and that there is life after sport. After reading this you will agree that he's worked incredibly hard to earn and enjoy the best of life.
on 14 May 2013
I have read a lot of cycling biographies and books about cycling and this is one of my favourites. Its well written and descibes rides and victories in a way that is interesting and easy to imagine.

I didn't know a lot about Robbie when I read this book, but found that I liked his character, his persistence and he motivated me to try harder on the challenges that I face when cycling.
on 6 February 2012
Will keep it brief, have many cycling auto/biography's, this is in my top 3, read it over 4 days, I passed on to a friend who read it in 2 & said it was the best he's read. Now bearing in mind the sprinters mentality he's a brash aussie etc etc, from starting out in the sport & his battle to establish himself, break though wins to champion & green jersey winner, totally frank & honest, Robbie knows himself and what works for him, he is especially open about contracts money & teammates, buy it you wont regret it, though a different tale, I rate it up with kimmage's book.
on 24 August 2014
Best cycling book I have bought for ages. It reads like a diary. I would recommend any cycling fan to buy this. Robbie has written this with a little whit and it comes across. You really wouldn't believe what a pro cyclist has to endure - like riding a TDF with a broken back!
on 28 August 2012
Fantastic book. Funny, insightful, and just a great read. I gave the book to my son who is not so much into cycling and he finished it in almost one sitting. The book has a wonderful free flowing style and creates many memorable moments for the reader. For me, it is at the same level as Laurent Fignon's 'We were young and carefree'. Both books are 5 star and as difficult to choose between as deciding to have a 'strawberry or a chocolate milk'.
on 25 November 2012
excellent insight into the character of robbie mcewen hard to put down would recommend this book and is in my top twenty all time reads
on 24 August 2014
Brilliant book and quite an eye opener recommend for any avid cyclist.
on 3 January 2015