on 3 September 2011
Product Description: (Perhaps just for Australian buyers!) I bought this book assuming it was a hardcover with dust jacket, however the hardcover description here actually refers to a board book. I should definitely have checked the size, but unfortunately when you search by title the first 4 options include a board book, so I didn't check any further. Just a note really for anyone else in a hurry!

The book itself is wonderful, one of my favourite but perhaps lesser known Australian authors. The pictures are gorgeous, Wombat has such fabulous expressions. (I used to work in a book shop and just about forced this into everyone's hands!)I bought it recently for a 2 year old English, male cousin and introduced him to the Australian animals. Also good for any kiddies a little afraid of the water, as Wombat's friend Platypus teaches him to swim. A lovely Australian gift for international relatives and friends.
on 7 November 2009
Our family loves the little Wombat series. In this short board book the writer seems to be dealing delicately with meeting new people and having minor prejudices. Little wombat meets platapus and a new strange aquaintance soon becomes a new good friend. Very simple but as always fasinating illustrations and lovely little story line to keep 2-6 year olds happy.
on 21 October 2010
We've loved Fuge's other books (other Wombat books, and 'I know a Rhino'...) but whilst the illustrations are beautiful again in this one, the story-line is not particularly great, and the jokey line at the end is lost on kids who are of the age to enjoy the book, so the ending is a bit flat for them.
on 24 July 2009
Our family are all huge Charles Fuge fans and have a bookcase to prove it !! Captivating stories with cute characters and great, great illustrations. Our son loved these from when he was just 2yrs old. If in doubt then buy the book (there is also a 4 story hardback)
on 28 February 2012
I (never mind my 4 year old) love this book. Pictures are fab storey is great. Little disappointed it doesn't rhyme as much as 'when i curl up in a ball' but still gets my vote!
on 1 February 2012
My three year old boy loved this story about the little wombat learning to swim. Highly recommended. The books in this range are well worth a read.
on 21 September 2013
What a lovely book this is one of my daughter and my favourite stories, beautifully illustrated and lovely story, would recommend
on 20 January 2016