Customer reviews

on 26 July 2017
I have been a great admirer of Shirley Hughes stories, simple, moral and the illustrations are just superb...the kids used to love them and I read them over and over again so I bough them all again for reading to the grandchildren. Must have for children it does bring their imagination...
on 6 October 2003
Shirley Hughes' illustrations are beautiful. They exist in a world that is a mix of every day reality and timeless nostalgia. This story handles the subject in a very touching way, through the eyes of a child, and without sentimentality. The images capture the expressions and behaviour of children perfectly. My 3 year old daughter loves Shirley Hughes' books, and this one is a particular favourite.
on 2 November 2011
I picked this up in my local library and started reading from it to my 2 year old boy, without looking through it first. Before I knew it, the cat in the story had died, and my boy was saying "No, Mummy, No!" and wouldn't listen any further. Further on in the story, they get a replaceent kitten).
So! Be cautious if you are going to read this to a sensitive child.
on 9 April 2013
Another beautifully written story book by Shirley Hughes, who is a favourite in our house.

This story is particularly good as it teaches young children that pets don't live forever, which has helped my 5 year old daughter understand the death of our cat this year, as I was finding it quite difficult to explain it to her without upsetting her too much.
on 9 June 2012
This is another lovely book by Shirley Hughes. It deals with the death of a much loved pet with great tact and sensitivity.
Although it is sad, it has a happy ending.
on 21 January 2012
I looked forward to reading this story to my 2.5 year old, but quickly realised there was going to be a 'dead cat'.....luckily my daughter was too tired to be paying full attention and went off to sleep before the end of the story, but I won't be reading this to her again. Not really the great "birthday surprise" I was expecting. Shame, as have enjoyed others in the Alfie series. Do be warned if you and/or your child are sensitive.
on 20 August 2015
bought for my two year old as we just lost a family pet. The sentiment was there, but I think it went over his head a bit. probably better for 4-5 year olds.
on 9 October 2013
We read the Alfie series to our own children and now we are reading to the grandchildren. Well written and beautifully illustrated as always.
on 28 June 2013
Really lovely ideal for bed time. My 2 year old loves these books they are enchanting and relaxing we now have all the books
on 27 December 2011
All Alfie Books by Shirley Hughes are excellent for the age group for which they are intended. Amazon Service faultless.