on 10 December 2000
A great family favourite. This is a classic picture book for reading aloud with young children. The text is a poem, in each verse Mr Magnolia has a marvellous possesion - eg two lovely sisters who play on the flute - but only one boot. The boot reference repeats, so the chldren can shout along, until a very happy ending is reached. The illustrations are excellent, bright, at first glance simple but on closer examination there is lots of fun detail for the children to pick out. The style of the illustrations will be familiar to any Roald Dahl fans as Quentin Blake illustrated Dahls books. It is similar in many ways to the Dr Seuss books, the rhyme, repetition and silliness, but would suit slightly younger children. The finest praise - my children at 14 and 11 thought they had outgrown picture books, we are giving this to young cousins for Christmas, but only after my children have re-read it first!
on 9 February 2001
My 5-year-old daughter really enjoyed this storybook. The rhythm of the verse is energetic and and the story is humorous and entertaining. Kids will love the colour illustrations.
on 6 October 2006
If you're looking for a speedy read for that "extra" bedtime story this is it. The poetry is sparse but witty, quirky and truly memorable. Indeed I leave out the last line of each page for my 3 year old to fill in the missing word. It is suitably surreal to keep my attention and entertain my son. I do not groan when he chooses this book at bedtime.
on 27 March 2013
My 2 year old got this from the library and loves it so much, i had to buy it. Though i didnt realise that "mini treasures" was going to mean a teeny book!!! Will be ok to take out in her/my bag, but think we need a bigger size one too :/

Fantastic book and great pictures. A real favourite that is read daily in our house!!

I have to knock some stars off, as after 4 days, the pages started falling out :(
on 18 June 2014
...and if the headline doesn't ring a bell with you then there is something lacking in your life - and the life of your children. This is a classic to bring joy to any bed-time reading with children. Its crazy rhymes will stay with them (and you) forever.
on 13 August 2015
I have been buying this book for years, first of all for my own children and then, once they had grown up, for others. Kids always love it and so do I. The illustrations with just enough text for two to four year olds are both perfect.
on 8 November 2012
I ordered this as a replacement as my daughter loves this story. When it arrived I peeled off the label to find that this was originally a free gift from Bookstart. I think it's a bit cheeky to charge for something that was free and not to say so in the product description.
on 6 July 2009
Youll be delighted with the way its written and the way its so terrifically illustrated. Mr Magnolia is a brilliant book because it has an excellent start, middle and end. Mr Magnolia makes you smile and laugh especially when it shows you his odd shoes. Mr Magnolia looks out of his window and sees everyone with two boots on. Olivia Year 3.
on 24 September 2012
I liked this book at school at got it for my 18mo son, its fast become a firm favoruite in the top 3 rotated bedtime stories and has prompted a keen interest in wearing my boots! Fab rhyming pattern with silly themes, love mr magnolia wearing one boot in the water park! I expect this to be excellent value for money as it should still appeal in years to come as sense of humour matures. Off to buy some more quentin blake books now!
on 15 June 2014
This was a favourite with my own children who are reaching their forties now and it is a joy to see their children get so much from the book. Let's hope it is still going when my grandchildren have their own children. A classic humorous tale with original rhymes and brilliant drawings by The author too.