on 31 August 2011
The sixth book in the Wardstone Chronicles keeps up the excellent pace and thrilling plot lines, this time around Tom is called upon by his Mam who desperatley needs his help back in her homeland of Greece where one of the old Gods is about to return and wreak chaos and devestation upon the country and then beyond. Tom finds himself fighting alongside Alice, the Spook and his mentor for six months Bill Arkright, but to the Spooks anger and apprenhension the witches from Pendle who now regret their decision of releasing the Fiend are fighting alongside them as is the witch assasin Grimalkin who wants nothing more than to slay every ally of the Fiends.
The action is fast and exciting and many unanswered questions from the previous books have answers revealed, the twists in the latest novel are suprising and unexpected and leave possibilities wide open for the future volumes. This installment is less scary than the Spooks Mistake but that is not a bad thing as the lamias are back and meaner than ever and want nothing more than to kill everybody they can.
The character development is as per usual very well done and every single one of the characters is fleshed out considerably, particularily Grimalkin who we began to learn a lot more about in Spooks Mistake, Mam also has secrets to reveal and her character becomes much clearer as the book unfolds. Delaney's style of writing is very enjoyable and again the pages seem to flick past so quickly i was staring at the back page before i knew it.
If you haven't already read this sixth book then get it fast, if you are new to the Wardstone Chronicles i suggest starting from the beginning, because you will definitely not regret it.

Awesome!
on 16 June 2016
Although downloaded for my teenager I have been enjoying this series - this book continues the trend of getting darker and Tom has some difficult decisions to make trying to do the right thing for everyone. The story reveals more about his heritage and his destiny and has added interest being set in a different landscape. I still find the narrative style a little clunky in parts and the high cost of these books, targeted at teenagers, is the reason it doesn't get 5 stars.
on 24 March 2013
I love all the Spook's book which I originally bought for my teenage son. He never read them so I thought I would and there was no going back. I have all the main stories and re-read them often. The plots are so well engineered and don't give away too much information before the end, you sort of reach the plot in the time the author wants you to and I like that. The stories and characters aren't wishy washy and are informative. I have to say I am in my 50's but have had a lot of hours of fun reading the series of Spook's books.
on 16 January 2018
Another great book in the series. Son very happy! I’m just disappointed you can’t get the new ones a bit cheaper!
on 14 December 2017
My 12 year old son loves these books!
on 25 October 2009
If you like the others then this one is just as good. another exciting tale, dark and accessible to all ages from about 8+ yrs. The main things I like about these books are the fact they arent patronising at all - very dark and serious - nothing lightweight about these tales and this is a refreshing change from most young/ adolescent aimed books. Consumed it in 24 hours - only complaint about the whole series is I would love each book to be a bit longer and more indepth!... but then again I am 28 and not the target audience and perhaps younger readers will appreciate the fact that they dont go on forever!! :)
on 9 November 2017
My son loves these books
on 23 July 2009
Having read all of Joseph Delaney's Spook's series so far, and enjoyed his style of writing of a young boys life change in his role as an apprentice with a difference to an ageing Spook. I found of all the series so far this to be the weakest in it's content of story and easy to predict. Never the less still an enjoyable book, with no regrets in my purchase.
on 27 October 2013
Yet another fascinating tale from Mr Delaney. The wardstone chronicles just seem to get better and better with each suspense filled episode. It's as if the characters have grown together each seemingly knowing what the other is thinking.

fantastic.
on 31 December 2012
This is a thrilling instalment in the series. The storyline takes Tom to Greece where he must battle his most dangerous foe to date. The Ordeen is a terrifying entity and the only way that it can be defeated is to infiltrate a labyrinthine palace of horrors with demons and other creatures test his resolve. One of the best books from the series I have read to far, it kept me gripped throughout and I can't wait to read the next book.