Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 May 2014
I have to confess that on about the 145th reading, I did wonder, if the ultimate destination that day is Barnacle Bay, where everyone has a wonderful afternoon on the beach, why does Duffy Driver leave his wife at home? Maybe she had a book club. Or maybe she can't be in the sun. Anyway, I'm not about to torture myself (or my son) with worries about whether I'm subtly ingraining him with sexism. The pictures are wonderful, the narrative is bucolic, relaxed and yet engaging, and both my children have loved reading Benedict Blathwayt stories for years.
on 29 May 2014
My son (just turned 4) loves this series and so I thought I'd buy him another title for his birthday. This is my favourite so far - it shows a map with the route the train takes on its busy journey, giving you plenty to talk about as well as reading the actual story. If you haven't come across these books before, this is a great one to start with and you'll soon be hooked. And if this is a title you've missed, you won't be disappointed.
Great for train fans for ages 3+.
on 27 August 2014
Our boys love the Little Red train (4-6).
The stories are just the right length and each page is filled with wonderful illustrations - the sort that see a new thing everytime you read it.
Recommended.
on 29 August 2012
This was an instant hit with my grandson on his 4th birthday. He already has some of the Little Red Train stories, and loved 'Busy Day' the page that showed how the engine works was his favourite. Instructive, fun to read and as usual beautifully illustrated.
on 8 June 2013
Wonderful books especially for little boys. Illustrations promote discussion as include lots of detail and scope for vocabulary exploration. These books stay a firm favourite for years.
on 9 May 2015
If I was rating the publication as it can be in hardback I would give 5 stars. However the paperback as delivered was very disappointing. The vibrant colours and intricate detail of the illustrations are a big part of the attraction of this series of books. The illustrations in the large format paperbook I received were pale and washed out. If you know what details are there from other editions you can still find them, but they are very easy to miss in the copy I received. Similar issue with the copy of "faster, faster little red train I ordered at the same time. Buyer beware on these paperbacks.
on 10 January 2012
Another great story in the excellent LRT series. This book is particuarly good as it includes an illustrated explanation of how the steam engine drives the wheels. Perhaps these pages have been sponsored by the government to help create more engineers (in 20 years time) !
on 18 May 2013
My son is an huge train fan, we have the full set of thesse books now. The books have very detailed pictures which he spends a long time looking at, so many little details. The story is just the right length for him to read to himself and he is happy to read this books over and over again.
Highly recommend for young train fans who want something different to Thomas the Tank.
on 22 April 2010
Another brilliant Little red train book. These are outstanding books. they appeal brilliantly to boys. The illustrations are superb. Something new every time you look at the page.

Excellent story. These books are treasures.
on 2 January 2013
Have most of the other little red train books (normaly at least one is required every night) this one is probably even better with the cut aways of the building and the explanation of how the train works.