on 30 April 2014
Well written book,made me think of my own dad , who died four years ago ,really enjoyed it.recommended to anyone
on 28 December 2014
Brilliant, have bought it for my husband too, because he kept trying to read it on my Kindle!
on 21 January 2015
An extremely well crafted piece of literature which truly draws the reader into the book - and the family. I wanted to read it because of a local (Yorkshire) interest but would recommend it as a good read to anyone. Be warned though - if you're looking for a 'happy ever after' story then this isn't for you.
on 19 September 2010
I love Blake Morrison's writing and this is a wonderful example of his talent. The story, as the title suggests, is about his father and what it was like for Blake to grow up with such a character. It's a fascinating story but I revelled as much in the way it was told. A wonderful read.
on 9 December 1999
This memoir deeply resonated with me. Morrison is extraorindarily adept at describing attributes of character that most fathers share. I both laughed and cried reading this remarkable book. One of the best autobiographical books I have read this year.
on 20 February 2015
A very compelling account of a son's relationship with his father. For me there were quite a few parallels with my relationship with my own father and also between my husband and our sons. Love isn't perfect and Blake Morrison explores the complexities of family life.
on 18 April 2013
In the ordinary course of life one would have certainly known nothing about the life of Arthur Morrison,and more importantly his death and the aftermarth,if a book had not been written by his son Blake Morrison.I found the book moving,sad,emotional,well written and enjoyable. It certainly made me think about my father who died 13 years ago.Many people experience the same emotions and frustrations as Blake Morrison did-frustration, cringing embarassment,love,lack of understanding and regret after their death. Blake Morrison writes well about his father dying days,which is interspersed with reminescences about his father, and admissions of hs own.
I enjoyed the book greatly,and felt that it seems marvellous that a book can be written about someone who we do not know or have even heard off,and yet at the same time we know so well,and can create such emotions.
on 12 September 2016
Came straightaway. Cheers. Very pleased as it was a birthday present for my friend who had been passively searching for a while so I wanted it quickly in order to be able to give it to her before anyone else had the same idea. Molte grazie.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2009
Very good read, get your tissues ready. Heartfelt story, well written documentation of his relationship with his father , the good and bad no holds barred - but how they really loved each other regardless of how different they were!!!
on 21 November 2014
Am unlikely to be alone in the feeling that these reminiscences at a time and location similar to my own experiences with my father will prove highly evocative and in many respectsainful. Interesting perspective.