on 13 December 2017
excellent
on 1 May 2006
This is an extremely useful book for anyone wanting a basic introduction to modern druidry, its beliefs and practices and how it relates to historic and pre-historic forms. As you might expect from Carr Gomm the subject is handled with quiet authority and written in a highly readable narrative style. The format of the book, written to answer a series of straight forward questions proves a simple but effective method of communicating the basics. If you want to get a handle on modern Druidry I suggest you buy this book.
on 20 August 2014
While I admire the author and the focus he has bought to modern druidry, I admit I struggled with reading this book. It is difficult to pin down exactly what druids believe, so full marks for trying. If you don't know a druid to have a chat to, then I would say to buy this book. If you do know a druid (or druids) then have a good long chat with them instead.
on 16 October 2009
This is a good little book. I have certainly found it interesting. There are a lot of "quotes" from people regarding their interest in Druidry, some are quite informative, some I skipped over. The book has made me realise my own Druid interests and, that I can still follow my birth religion whilst putting into practice some of the more basic Druid beliefs, which practice I do believe has made my life less stressful. Philip Carr-Gomm certainly knows how to reach out to people.
For the price it is worth a read.
on 25 January 2010
This gem of a book is, quite simply, among the very best on the market for anyone wanting to know what contemporary Druids believe and do. Yes, it does exactly what it says on the cover. It is clear, concise, well-researched, historically accurate, eminently suited to anyone new to the subject, but with plenty to think about for us old hands as well. Philip Carr-Gomm writes so well that he conveys quite complex ideas and information in a style accessible to anyone from intelligent teens to geriatrics like me. It would be great to see this book in all school and university religious studies departments. Highly, thoroughly and absolutely recommended. If it were possible, I'd give it seven stars ...

See also my Listmania list, 'Best Druid Books.'
on 5 November 2010
I found this little book a clear summary of what lies behind the ideas of the druids. It brought into focus ideas I had about them previously, being clearly written and with no superfluous philsophical refletions. Highly recommended.
on 7 September 2014
This is a lovely little book. It is beautifully written, clear and very informative.
As a student of religion I found it a refreshing change from the much heavier reading I have done recently!
It strikes a chord with me unexpectedly and so I will read more from this author and about non dogmatic druidery.
Who knows? It could be life changing!
on 19 January 2011
This is an excellent treatise, clearly and concisely written. A good introduction to Druidry but also a re-affirmation for those already working within this system. Highly recommended.
on 8 September 2013
A really good book, that explaines the issue really well. It is easy to read and provides a clear explanation of the core points. it also arrived in excellent condition
on 31 August 2014
A very informative and informal read. Perfect for someone finding their feet on the first step of their journey into Druidism.